What trumpet is this?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Oct 21, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Molly,

I have no idea .... I think it is another confused seller. Just in case Yamaha may have worked with Besson I did a search of Yamaha's site and archives. Came up empty.

I know some of the Besson trumpets are made in India (I have had email from people that they have terrible valves among other problems). Did Besson get Yamaha to make a horn for them? I do not know. I would email the seller. What would it hurt?

Jim

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That trumpet looks like a Yamaha, with the exception of the pinky hook. It's possible that the trumpet for whatever reason is in a Besson case and the seller just can't seem to distinguish the fact that the two don't necessarily corelate to one another.

Or, it could be that someone has put together a Frankenhorn, and it is a mishmash of Yamaha and Besson components. Eg. A Besson bell on a Yamaha body.

"American components, Russian components.....all made in Taiwan!!!!" -- Lev Andropov, Russian Cosmonaut -- Movie "Armageddon" ;)

M&C, I think that the Indian made horns that you are referring to are "Bessons", not to be confused with "Besson". It's an interesting play on the name to try to get you to think that you are getting something that you are not.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is true ALSO.

Besson had an India manufacturer make the models:
    Model 1010
    Model 1110

From WWBW:

t sounds great and the case is very good. Has a sticker on it that says "Made in India" although the bell says "London". I may have got one that slipped through the quality control people since it looks and plays beautifully. I wouldn't recommend due to the quality. It had a pearl cap off one of the valves and a very noticeable click on its second valve when depressed.

One of several comments about the 1010 and the 1110. They are not Bessons (even though that was done too). Besson actually contracted with a company in India for at least these two models.

Same complaint about them, the valves click and the quality control is bad. Some stores simply state they are made in India. OK. But the reviews are awful.

Jim

5. mheffernen5

Jim, I know you would try anything...I did compare this to the link and it looked awfully close to it:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...l/0,6373,CNTID%3D2486%26CTID%3D244900,00.html

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    no, thats clearly not the same horn, even with the bad pictures on ebay. the ebay has no brace on the main slide and the distincitve short reciever, whearas the yammy has a brace and a smoother possibly longer reciever, there are probably more differences, but the ebay only shows the back side of the horn.

7. mheffernen5

After I posted last night, I found out it was ended early by the seller but it may be relisted. Sometimes when stuff is relisted, there are better pictures which could help if it does get relisted.