What trumpet should i get

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by canninball3, Oct 16, 2010.

1. canninball3

canninball3 New Friend

Apr 4, 2010
    I am ready to move on to an intermediate trumpet but i dont know which one to get. I dont have alot of money so can anyone tell me which one i should get that doesnt break my wallet

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Personally, I recommend Yamaha and KEEP THOSE SLIDES GREASED with Selmer grease

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Instead of buying an intermediate horn why not buy a used pro horn? It can be about the same money and you won't have wasted money on an intermediate and then have to go on at sometime in the future to buy a pro horn.

4. rafynator

rafynator New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    what is you wallet size? 500? if your budget is lower good luck with that. its definitely beter for you to buy a pro horn bach if you are in america B&S if you are in germany or ingland

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Ditto.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    There's definately more value in a lightlly used pro horn than paying full pop for an intermediate. My dumb little Yamaha cornet costs $800-$1200 new right now, no kidding. And it's nothing special. I got it for $300 used from a music store I like, and frankly I could probably find the same horn for $200 on Criag's List if I were patient, which I'm not lol.

7. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Absolutely agree- spend your money once. An "intermediate" horn is not much more than a way to sell an extra horn.

8. rafynator

rafynator New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    i have a conn constallation witch is a pro horn i could sell it to you for 700 its a collectors item too, or i have this dizzy style king silver flair with a gold bell for 800 i bought them for much more but im not using them they are both new and yes the bell points upward just like dizzy gilespy.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Contact Trent Austin at [email protected] -- he's handling the Carrol line of trumpets, and they make some fantastic instruments for very reasonable prices. He also has a lot of used instruments which fit the suggestions of others who have replied already. Buying a used pro horn might be great, but you also might find that buying any instrument without worrying about the "pro" or "intermediate" label might be best. Simply go to any store with an open mind and with your mouthpiece (make sure it's clean so you can get the best tone) and a selection of music so you play the same music on every trumpet you try and find whatever horn suits your playing best. It might be a different model of what many might call a "student" horn, it might be an "intermediate" horn, it might be a "pro" horn -- the label isn't important. It's how the instrument can help your playing come alive that matters most.

10. canninball3

canninball3 New Friend

Apr 4, 2010
    thx for all the help and offers but this lady is offering me a 550 dollar besson trumpet. She says its an international series so has anyone heard of it and should i get it. She says her daughter used it for 9 months and its a silver. So is this a deal, and is it a good brand. Also she says it was made in the usa.