What trumpet should i get

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by canninball3, Oct 16, 2010.

1. canninball3

canninball3 New Friend

Apr 4, 2010
    Also she said it was a professional trumpet so is it

2. rafynator

rafynator New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    besson has awsome vintage cornets but their trumpets... nahh

3. Heuy

Heuy New Friend

Jun 11, 2010
    Darwin, Australia
    Besson International are good if made in the USA. Bare in mind that International branded Besson trumpets not made in the US are ok, but probably lack a bit of lustre in playing.

You best bet if you have been offered a trumpet is to have a blow on it and feel the instrument, ie valves nice movement, tuning slides free and move nicely, notes hitting centre and tone sweet. IF yes grab it, if no shop around.

Must admit for a new prohorn I am keen to head towards the New Blessing BTR 1580(S) seems like a reasonable priced and good quality horn. Probably worth a look as Blessing are trying to make a comeback after a good few years of Blessing being well down near the bottom of the list if on the list at all with professional horns

4. Printer

Printer New Friend

May 1, 2010
    San Francisco
    The Besson International is considered an intermediate level trumpet. I have one, which I bought on ebay for about $325 used in good condition. The price you quoted seems high. There are usually one or two Besson Internationals, made by Kanstul, on ebay and they sell for $250-$450, I think.

You might want to do some research on Besson trumpets at BessonLoyalist.com. There is lots of info available. Also, check out the reviews on brassreview.com.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I second what others have said here about putting your money into a good pro model horn. There are a ton of them that can be purchased on eBay or on Craig's List or Shopgoodwill.com for a very reasonable price. For what they want for an intermediate horn you could pick up a nice French Selmer, Connstellation or 6B, Olds Super, Getzen Severinsen or Eterna, or any one of a number of very fine instruments if you know what you want. I would recommend using the internet (this site, of course, has a wealth of info on different types of trumpets). The only catch is that you have to be patient. In the last year I have bought a Coutois C trumpet, a 1957 Conn 80A, a 1951 Olds Special cornet, a balanced model Courtois B flat (.470) and a 1954 Olds Special cornet. That is 3 pro type horns and 2 intermediate type horns. I don't have 550 total invested in all 5 instruments. I must counsel you, exercise patience if you want to find the bargains and look every day armed with knowledge. I would not spend 550 on a besson international because you will find it cheaper. The difference is that you can't play it first when buying online. I think the benefits of the savings justify the risk.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that major purchase decisions DESERVE research time. You need to play some of these horns if you are ready for something better. No investment is really smart unless you have learned something - other than believing a lady who wants to sell you a horn or us internet guys who don't have to face up if you do the wrong thing. My students take a couple of weeks of research and present me with their results. Then I as a teacher work with them to figure out how close the research is to reality. At the end of the process, we let the parents know what we have discovered and how we came to the decision. Generally the parents are tickled pink that the kids really are in a position to make an informed decision.

I do not recommend pro horns blindly. They are generally more sensitive to mishandling and only the cautious student deserves this. In the case of the Yamaha, the intermediate models (4xxx and 6xxx) are in fact different than the student or pro models. They combine tough with better tone and more projection. I do not consider a $500 Besson to be anything close to "pro" even although it may play just fine.

7. JDrinwater

JDrinwater New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    NH
    Yeah buying an intermediate horn is kind of a waste of money. It can help but if you buy a pro one you wont have to buy another Bb trumpet for the rest of your life (assuming you do what i did, bought a bach stradivarius straight from my yamaha student horn) Not to mention the tone difference is Way different. The kid next to me plays an intermediate horn and I play my bach, I sound like a proffessional whereas he sounds like, well a student. Good Luck on your decision!

Bach Stradivarius
    Yamaha Student Horn
    King Clevland student
    Yamaha Flugal
    Cg Conn Bb Cornet

8 years experience