What trumpet to play and when to quit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Sep 10, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Manny,

This morning I was just reading through stuff just messing around.
    I picked up an excerpt book and read through Pictures and Bolero.

In pictures there is a solo that I always thought was done on picc. although it is written for C trumpet. I tried it both ways and could play it but (It's hard to know without the real part) it just goes on and on after the solo. How do you do it?

Then again in bolero; it starts nicely in C but goes on and on for D trumpet.

I would want to play it on pic. but the rest of the section is playing ???

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The Pictures solo is typically played today on the piccolo on the A side. A generation ago it was played on the D trumpet. Bolero is played on anything but a Bb or C when we're talking about the D trumpet part. What it sounds like is that you don't realize that there are three parts in C and one in D that comes in at the very end.

I've played it on D, Eb, G, and A piccolo.

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I didn't post my question well. The pictures solo is ok for me on C or a pic. I haven't tried it yet on D trumpet. When it is over do you change trumpets or lay out for a while or keep playing on picc.

On bolero I saw the D trumpet part but I couldn't play it well on D trumpet.
    The question was (and you already answered it) would you play it on pic. with the rest of the section playing C trumpet. I would think that the pic. would get buried.