What trumpet to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Feb 2, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I play in a symphonic band and we are playing the Finale from Andrea Chenier by Umberto Giordano.

I had never heard of this piece before but I believe that it is from an opera with two soloists. I will be up front and play the soprano part along with a baritone horn. I guess playing the baritone part..

My first thought was to use a B flat trumpet so I would have a big sound like a singer but I played the part at home on a rotary picc. and had a lot more control. The part is a little on the high side and I don't want to sound like a lead player so at the last rehearsal I played it on C trumpet. It didn't sound right to me. Maybe because it was the last piece of the night and I was tired.

Thanks again for your help.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    What key is the piece in?

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Concert C

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Do you have a D trumpet? If you do, that might give you a little more comfort in the upper register while still sounding like a bigger instrument.

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    A Friend of Mine Played a Solo in Concert C on an Eb trumpet awhile back, It sounded pretty good, nice and full, really filled the preforming arts center at my high school wich seats approx. 200 people

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm sure the picc makes it easier but the character of the sound is important. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a C trumpet. Coincidentally, I was covering for our music director this year when a wonderful baritone sang an excerpt from this very opera and that's what's in my head; his voice. It was rich and vibrant. Find the flexibility in the sound and the richness. That's always been your strong point, sound quality. It would be a shame not to exploit a natural gift such as yours.

ML

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    No surprise here with my screen name. perhaps try Bb, C or Eb cornet/

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thanks Manny,

What a nice complement. When I read your response I think my eyes popped out of my head. I'll put them back and play it on B flat.

Thanks again,

Joe