What tuner?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 3, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I asked this in the previous thread, but want to make this question more available to all....WHAT TUNER DO YOU RECOMMEND?

2. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul New Friend

Apr 12, 2007
    The center of my universe
    I have a Boss electronic tuner. I like it because it shows what note I am playing and whether it is sharp or flat. Cheap too, less than $20 Canadian.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Tom, I don't really think it matters a lot. If you are buying one and don't mind spending a bit extra get one with built-in metronome. The downside is that when (I did not say "if!") you drop it you'll have "two" devices that are busted. The upside is that it'll take up less space in your accessory collection.

Per Paul, about $20 to $30 (Cdn. or US) should get you something decent in a bare-bones tuner. For metronome you may want to get one that has subdivision LEDs and a good, loud speaker; when playing trumpet you can't hear the blamed things so you pretty much have to rely on visual unless you're feeding the signal through an amp/speaker. Don't get one of those creditcard sized metronomes though; they're next to useless.

If you are doing orchestral music you might want to consider a tuner that allows you to adjust "A= 438/439/440/441/442". Most of them have the feature but some of the cheaper ones might not.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a Sabine MT-9000. Here's the hype:

The Sabine MetroTune MT-9000 is a chromatic auto tuner, advanced metronome, and tone generator in one! Large format LCD gives you a very accurate simulated needle display along with a 3-color LED tuning display. Woodblock-sounding metronome has a continuous volume control and includes 3 modes: standard, accented downbeat, and 5 useful rhythm figures (duplet, triplet, etc.). The tone generator is perfect for ear training or as another tuning aid.

It's small and pretty handy as a metronome. Costs around $35. Practicing exercises and pieces with a metronome is an invaluable tool. It keeps you honest.;-)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have Phon Tuner V2.2.6 for my Palm cell telephone. It is accurate and easy to read and always with me!

www.phonature.com

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

I would reccommend a Dr. Beat Metronome/Tuner.

It PLAYS the tones you tune too so that you have to use your ears to check your tuning. I like that.

Peace!

Nick

7. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    I'ts hard to go wrong buying just about any electronic tuner these days.Top of the line stroboscopic tuners(conn) are the most accurate, but really expensive.Most music shops have a selection of good inexpensive tuners.There are tuners that clip on the bell of your horn.Camelbrass mentioned playing"centered".This is something probably better explained by someone else, but let me just say,don't beat yourself up if you're not always playing every note "in tune" right away.You need to slowly build your muscles into a stable embouchure before you can know if you're playing"above center"or "below center".

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A side note about tuners - if you use one when you practice, centering each note as you play, and you learn to play this way, you'll play out of tune with practically any ensemble you play with.

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What great replies. I like the Phon Tuner V2.2.6 but I don't have a pocket pc. Tootsall/Glenn is right about "loud". I like "loud," and the loudest I'm told is the Boss. I live in the same town as the Sabine factory, and have listened to the MT-9000. It's a very nice tuner/metronome but not loud enough. I don't know how much the stroboscopic turners are? But beyond my budget I'm sure. So, I'll either buy a Sabine and put it through an amp at home for the metronome, or the Boss. Thanks guys...........tom

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I use the Yamaha TD-1 which has got no metronom built in, but is really easy to use, react quite fast, and it is quite reliable. In adition to 438-445Mhz option has transposing (never used that one). What I really like about it that you can play one pitch after another quite rapidly and the tuner will still react on time...I tested quite a few tuners in the Spada shop few years ago, and I believe that only Mr. Beat was reacting faster. It is kind of expensive, but not sa much as the Mr. Beat machine

[​IMG]