What tuner?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 3, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    trumpetnick, I'll consider the Yamaha since I might have an alternative for a metronome. I'm not familiar with "Spada" so I'll look it up on the web........thanks

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Too true!

The best tuner is the old Sroboconn that showed all twelve notes at once. With it, we can see that a perfectly in tune "c" is only perfect relative to c -- relative to Ab it is too high, relative to A, too low, relative to C, way too high, etc. For some pictures, go to:

A Brief History of the Conn Company: Experimental Laboratory

Stay tuned!

3. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
  4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    To examine tuning, check out Chase Sanborn's site with his latest book Tuning Tactics and the CenterPitch device. The book helps you 'know' when you are in tune and the CenterPitch assists, "when all about you are playing and tuning" to tune your instrument.

chasesanborn.com » Online Catalog

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Check out the Peterson portable Stroboconn. Very sensitive and measures the overtones as well like the old Stroboconns.

Has microphone inputs and a wide variety of other calibration ranges as well as setting for equal temperament as well as unequal ones.

Price is very good for what it is capable of. About $200

Much more useful to me than all the other inexpensive (but still good) Korgs, Yamahas etc.

Worth looking into though.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria