What Type of Money and Support Do Factory/Specific Brand Artist's Get?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Jan 22, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I ask becuase I would basicly like to know not for any serious reason. If you look at some artist's they where very loyal to one specific brand more then any other while some jump from company to company often. SOme end up with COmpanies that I would not imagine to have deep pocket's while some are with huge companies????

For Instance Maynard Furgison was a COnn guy for a while but he was a Holton guy for a long long time! I suspect if Leblanc had not purchased Holton he probably would have stayed. Today He plays nothing but Monette I believe. So he has been fairly steady considering his long Carreer. Wasn't Dizzy a Martin COmmetti guy for a long long time even after they where bought out???

I would imagine that the larger Companies like Holton would have had deep pockets but Monette I would imagine does not. So what is it that is the main factor for an artist decideing to partner up with a company??? Is it cash or is it the sound of the instrument or is it perk's like special trumpets hand made just for them etc????????

Thanks guys??? I know as a teen ager I was an amature skate boarder and I neveer got any big money from my sponsor's I got gear and my expense's like hotels and food picked up and when I one or placed int he top 10 I got a little bit of bonus cash but it was never much. It was mostly the gear and the proffesional serviceing of my gear. Nothing was ever made for me I was not that high up the food chain. So I wounder if it works much the same with being a Company Artist etc.....?????

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You must ask a player with that kind of deal that question, you will never get an answer from the general internet.
    Wilmer

3. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Well, if the first trumpet you had was a Bach, then you'd want a bach, but if you are successful like Maynard, then of course you'd be playing a Monette and not a Bach or Yamaha.

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    LV, are you sure about this?

Best,
    EC

Schwab likes this.
  5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I haven't heard much from Maynard lately.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well the last I heard about Maynard was from a You Tube interview with him I saw on the internet. I haveno idea how old those interviews or him playing the Monetteee are etc..It stikes me as strange sometimes how someone can go from Playing nothing but say Yamaha's for a long long time to Playing and endorseing nothing but Getzen's or what ever brand you want to insert. Sorry for the sharp decline in my typeing and spelling too. I had another sleepless night insomnia real bad! The part about him playing Conn Constalations prior to switching to Holotn was from an interview with him on the internet. I guess the owner's of Holton when it was family owned bent over back wards to make sure his gear was exactly what he wanted and really treated him great. I suspect LaBlanc being not so personel of a comapy probably treated him like anyone else but that is just a guess.

ecaroll, I amnot sure about much in life outside of the formula's and concepts I learned in Aviation Technology and Automotive Tech. and things like that. Just about everything else in my life is about what I think I know not always what I know! If you follow me!

7. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Originally Posted by lovevixen555 View Post
    Today He plays nothing but Monette I believe.

hmmmmmm, and he's giving lessons to Gabriel as well.

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    OH WISE ONE !!!! LOL I am jokeing with you on that one!! I thought since people like Boston Brass are sponsored artists for like say Jupiter and other's like them are also sponsored that maybe we might hear from someone that know's them since we all have friends even when we get famious!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Lovevixen,

I'm not sure about that much in life either, alas, and I'm well acquainted with insomnia myself. Perhaps both reflect advancing age. Maynard passed away last year, however. Even I am sure of that.

Re deals with trumpet manufacturers, I can only speak to my own. Yamaha doesn't pay me anything but does, on occasion, throw a few quid onto the table to make a limited offer more worthwhilefor me to accept. That's about it. No biggie.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Best,
    EC

10. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Unless you have been to a mystic or listening to old recordings, no one has heard from the late, great MF since August of 2006. Just doesn't seem like it has been that long.

Maynard had a great personal relationship with Vito and all those guys at Holton ( Holton/Leblanc ) in addition to the business relationship. My understanding besides being happy with all that, I also suspect and have heard others say that even when MF was willing to possibly make a change, he probably just did not want to do that to his old friend Vito while he was still alive. It wasn't till after Vito passed away, that MF made a change.

The artist agreements while for most within each major company can be somewhat similar, for the top of the top, those can be unique.

Most artists it is something generally along the lines of horns provided or discounts and clinic / concert assistance in funding as long as the event promotes that manufacturer at the events, i.e. banners, logos in programs, on mic mentions as a key sponsor, etc, and usually involve the support of some local dealer displaying said instruments. As such, that extra assistance can help offset the artist's fee to the school or organization they are performing for.

In a few rare instances, I have heard of something more substantial but that is rare. Things like some kind of stipend or benefits, or annual fee/salary, are almost non-existent.

The vast majority are more like the clinic/concert assistance and tying in artist and instrument promotion to the benefit of both. The financial part depends on and is tied to those clinic/concerts generally and is a portion to offset the total cost.

While those arrangements do not make anyone rich, they are worthwhile to both parties and that's why artists and companies still do them.

As trumpet players, we are in a niche market, not like endorsing tennis shoes for Nike, not even close, lol... still it can be a good thing and helpful to those schools or organizations booking said artist for a clinic.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009