What Type of Money and Support Do Factory/Specific Brand Artist's Get?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Jan 22, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I believe that the canadian brass use Yamaha instruments exclusively, and get sponsored by them. I doubt that they had to pay for those instruments

2. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    I am not sponsored by a trumpet company, as I am just starting out. But I am sponsored by three different guitar companies. I just get the guitars at the cost it cost them to be made (which is slightly less then dealer cost). I guess it depends on the company or the player. I know some people who get "freebies", but now-a-days, unless you are huge, it seems that you just get a discount. My drummer is sponsored as well, and gets his stuff at "their" cost, but he has to have the drum companies logo (although small) on the front of his bass drum.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bear,
    your post is pretty presumptuous. If you do not qualify for Gabriel, you coud end up with the Buddy Rich lead book, a large bore heavy weight trumpet, a Bach 1X mouthpiece and 8 hour rehearsals with very poor lighting conditions. I can also imagine who may be joining the section..............................

Brass crusader likes this.
  4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The potential for what we call "futterneid" (jealosy of what the others get fed) is very great in this post. It also has not answered the question, nor will it as the players that MAY be on a payroll like Jens Lindemann won't talk about money.

The manufacturers that I have worked with have given me prototypes to try and I probably could have kept switching prototypes and thus saved the cost of buying a horn. As I am more interested in consistency, I have my own horns bought for real money, albeit mostly with a standard artist discount that is not THAT special. The internet prices that I see are similar or better, but I do not get my exact horn of choice.

If any of you really care about working with some manufacturer, there is only one way: get good with NORMAL equipment and give them a reason to want to work with you. Before working up a sweat about somebody with a better deal, research the WHY!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is something that I always wondered about.
    Years ago I studied from a well known guy, who is dead now. I asked what brand he played and why. He said he used what ever brand paid him. I never found out how much or what exactly that meant.

Now that I'm older and really bold, I asked someone at Monette about sponsorship. They told me that they don't do it. They also told me that some big names have talked to them about it and they said no.

On to Maynard. Why would a guy with sponsorship and his ability to play switch at his age. There is a clip somewhere of him saying why. I don't feel like looking for it.

One thing I do know, he got to spend time with Dave designing the trumpet. I think that's worth it right there.

Lets say (guess) that Monette gave him the trumpet. Maynard spent a lot of time telling Dave what he knows, isn't that worth money? Dave spent a lot of time telling Maynard what he knows, isn't that worth a lot of money?

If Bach gave a player a horn and the player called them up and told them how to make it better; isn't that a win for Bach?

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maynard now has the best factory/brand contract there is!

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maynard switched because he and Dave Monette had a common denominator: Yoga, body use and love of Indian food. Maynard was a real people motivated person. The Yoga concepts that Dave uses in conceiving horns made sense (that is why I went that way too). The friendship was the deciding factor! Money is not the only motivation when working with true artisans. A complementary appreciation of the art forms goes a long way!