What Valve Oil for Hot, Humid Days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mr. Semman, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Hello everyone,

When I went for my "lunchtime" practice session today, I found that my valves were stuck. I freed them and used Al Cass Valve Oil, but a few minutes later, the valaves were sticking. I have to assume that it was the humidity and heat, that we are experiencing at present. I usually leave the horn in the truck before and after my session, but was wondering if there was a particular brand that might eliminate this situation?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Gary

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was an Army bandsman, I always had problems with Al Cass on really hot days. I'd oil up right before hitting the parade field, but my valves were usually starting to get sluggish by the end of the ceremony.

I'm using Zaja Blue pro oil these days, and I NEVER have a problem with it. It has become my favorite oil, and I used Al Cass faithfully for years. I highy recommend it.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto.

Clarks Viper oil is a good one as well.

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi

Zaja Blue Pro is a great oil and I recomend it as well. What I also recomend is that you dont leave your horn in a HOT truck where the temps can reach 120F on a sizzler of a day. Not only will you get your valves stuck but you'll probably ruin your lacquer over time. Would you leave your horn in the oven and turn it up to 120F? Of course not.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ditto with the Al Cass. Also ditto with the Zaja Blue and Viper Oil.

I saw an article somewhere about Al Cass and high temperatures and particular individuals' body chemistry...I'd always wondered why Al Cass would "varnish up" my valves for me.

No problems since switching to the other two brands.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Spencer Snake Oil - tested on tours of Italy and last week in Bangkok - has exceeded all expectations and wishes so far :D

7. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    personaly i really like the hetman oils...use them for everything except my main tuning slide on which i use Zaja. But i've never had sticking duing rehersals with marching band on blacktop with heats of 100

8. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I heard somewhere that the petrolium based oils can get sluggy in higher temperatures, but they synthetic stuff works fine in high temps. I don't know if its true, but that might possibly be the problem.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I used Zaja Blue in Iraq, and yes it did get humid but I never had any problems. Seemed like the hotter it was, the better the valves were.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    TB88.... yes, I was thinking of the same article. It (the article) might have been associated with Alisyn (sp?) or one of those.