What Valve Oil for Hot, Humid Days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mr. Semman, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    What's the best oil for a worn-out old flugel that still plays well but has some play in the valves?

Tom//

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hetman Classic Valve Oil (#3). The Classic is made specifically for older horns and is a little more viscous. I use the Hetman #2 for my horns and haven't found anything that works better for me.

3. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    I agree.

Houston = HOT & HUMID!!!!

This is what I used here in Houston on my Schilke B6-L when Al Cass was fouling up for me.

I haven't used my Destino with the Tromba T2 that Doc told me to use in but one outside gig and it worked fine also.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I really like Hetman. The only beef I have with it is the child safety lock on the bottle. I've gone through two bottles in the last year and both were a pain in the butt when it came closing the bottle up so that it wouldn't leak all over. Anybody else have this problem?
    -Jimi

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    What I do is pour the contents of the new bottle into an old one. It works well.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Genius!!!

7. PSkee

PSkee New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Okinawa, Japan
    That explains it...

Well rat spit, all this time with sticking valves that I thought our repair tech had been sneaking lamp oil into the Al Cass and I find out that Al Cass has been the problem all along. Never too old to learn somthing new.

8. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    I saw this article on www.trumpetstudio.com

SYNTHETIC OIL

Synthetic Valve Oil: Use With Caution

Although I am long time user of petroleum based oil, I decided to give synthetic oil a shot when I bought my new horn (a Callicchio R32). I couldn’t have guessed the effects this would have on my new horn. The purpose of this article is not to recommend synthetic over petroleum based, or visa-versa, rather it is to share my experience and suggest you carefully read the instructions on the bottle.

After about a week of using the synthetic oil, I discovered there was a great deal of corrosion on the third valve stem. I hadn’t noticed it throughout the week.

I couldn’t believe it, A BRAND NEW HORN WITH CORROSION! The synthetic oil caused a CHEMICAL REACTION . The bores and valves were turning black and the pads were changing from white to black. There was also a thin, dark, filmy layer throughout the entire horn. At this point I decided to submerge the valves in distilled vinegar thinking the mild acid would clean the black film. It didn’t work. As soon as I put the horn back together they turned black.

Finally I bit the bullet and took the trumpet to be chemically cleaned. The result? A fully restored horn that retained only small traces of the corrosion in the form of tiny blemishes on the third valve stem.

The repairman told me that my experience is not unusual. They routinely find corrosion in horns oiled with synthetic brands. I’ll tell you this, I sure wish I would have known this before I start squeezing synthetic oil into my new horn. My advice is to CAREFULLY read all instructions on whatever oil you choose.

Hey, you live and learn right?

UPDATE:

I have found a new brand called Pro Oil from MusiChem It is THE best oil in the business! (yes I've literally have tried them all) Pro Oil is very long lasting, and dramatically makes your valves smoother, and faster. Be sure to read the articles on corrosion, and viscosity (very worthwhile) YOU'VE GOT TO TRY THIS FOR YOURSELF. Try a bottle, then you can email me a thank you note...

Any comments or problems like this with the oils mentioned in this thread? I don't recall if the oils mentioned were synthetic or not. The author didn't mention the oil he used (probably fear of being sued).

Thanks

9. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I live in Dubai where the temp can reach 50 and averages 43/44 in the summer and can be 95% humididty as well - by the sea so much more humid. Yes the wind screen wipers get put on for the humidity!! Al Cass works but I have to oil my valves every day all year round. Sometimes I have to oil twice a day.

With Zaja Blue it works a lot better and I only need to oil every 2-3 days so that is my experience. Have only tried these two oils though.

Hope this helps,

Graham