What vintage horn do you own but hardly ever play and why

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by guy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    One observation. I see one instrument common in the lists above. I also noted recently that there was one instrument that a ton of people played in the early 1900's jazz bands. Conn 80A. Maybe I need to just get rid of everything else and just play the 80A.

Brassman64 likes this.
  2. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    My Conn 80a 1949 needs work as one of my valve corks split and the water key needs to be fixed.I usually play my New Proportion because it just fits me so well and is so responsive .My 22bs I take out at least once a week but my Beuschers and Liberty I, never get much time.

True Tone likes this.
  3. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    A 1966 King Cleveland Superior. It sounds good but my other horns sound better.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nope, with a pristine, original lacquer instrument that's this rare, there is no fix that doesn't ruin the value of it.

True Tone likes this.
  5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My Yamaha Chicago Artist C Trumpet. I rarely need a trumpet in C for my work, so I rarely play it. I am working to prepare to play John Rutter's Gloria, where the score calls for C trumpet, so this will change temporarily. Still, NO plans to sell the horn

True Tone likes this.
  6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    i Have a couple horns I don’t play- a 1909 conn wonderphone that I promised the previous owner I would never sell, and a 1928 Holton Llewelyn model- which I have for sale! Generally if I don’t end up playing the horn I end up selling it. It’s a good way to not end up with a huge collection and only keep the best ones that you will play. I will say that I have a couple I don’t play as often, like my conn 2b or 22b ny special, but when I want that specific sound there aren’t any better horns out there!

True Tone likes this.
  7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    An 1895 Besson bass cornet. Why not play it? It's a bass cornet! But I have loaned it out to a local symphony player, he's going to use it on Strauss' Macbeth. If my body washes up somewhere, it's because he wants to keep the horn!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Honestly, all of them. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Some of my horns get pulled out for noodling sessions and a rehearsal or two. But when it's time to play, it's only my Getzen 900H and Jupiter 846 flugel.

True Tone and JRgroove like this.
  9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Dude you've got to post pics

Acludwig1 likes this.
  10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    '57 Olds Recording -- I do play it, but in the last year or so I've been using my Committee and Strad more, with the Destino III (Shires) being my main horn. The Recording is a great trumpet -- I feel it has great character, but it also seems to want to be played boldly, and I find I have some trouble tempering the volume. The Shires is far more controllable in that respect, and the Committee is -- well it's a Committee.

--bumblebee

True Tone, JRgroove and Acludwig1 like this.