What was your first trumpet?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Oldgreentoad, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Oldgreentoad

Oldgreentoad New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'd like to hear from as many people as would like to respond. What was your first horn, and maybe a little bit about what you remember about it.
    Thanks

Jason

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ever? An old Los Angeles Olds Ambassador Cornet. Dang good horn, still play it occasionally. Good valves and tone. Excellent piece.

First trumpet? It would be a 1970'ish Olds Ambassador trumpet. This one...not so good. It was actually my dad's horn back when he was in high school. Apparently he dropped the second valve piston from the bleachers while oiling it. It must have landed on something pointy, because it put a slight bow into the valve that wasn't detected until I got it (and tanked my chair test for band with it, man that made me mad).

When it comes to beginner instruments, a great Olds is just hard to beat.

3. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Blessing Schoolastic. Not a great instrument, but good enough for a beginner. As a matter of fact It didn't get replaced until I was preparing for my Grade 8 exam.

I've still got it, but it needs some work. The valves (at least one, possibly two) started to go rusty about a year before I replaced it, and I can't remember the last time the valve slides worked. I'd like to do something with it though, I just wish I had the £££.

4. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    My first horn was a Buescher (sp) Aristocrat. Great tone, great valves, mediocre player. Wish I still had it.

Gary

5. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    My first horn was a King 600. Wouldn't give you a plug nickel for anything that came out the bell end of that horn. I don't know when Kings started to head south but I don't think that horn could have been any worse. The valves were stiff and sloppy, even after changing springs. The sound was thin and tinny, even after taking lessons and playing for 8 years. It did serve as a good marching horn so in that respect it did it's job, nothing more.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My first horn ever was a beat up King Cornet, I'm not sure about the model, and it had a Bach 5B mouthpiece. What a tank! I still own it, but only out of purely sentimental reasons I can assure you!

My first trumpet was a silver plated Yamaha 739T with a Bach 7C mouthpiece. It could have been a 737, or 734 or one of the other models in that era, (my sister got it in like 1981 and I inherited it from her in 1984) but it was certainly a 'T' model. After playing that beater of a King cornet for nearly 4 years, moving to that Yamaha was like a dream. It was one of the best trumpets that I have ever owned, but I stopped playing it when I got a Bach because I just assumed that the Bach had to be be better. I ended up selling it and I wish I still had it.

7. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I bought my first horn in the 5th grade with paper route money[I never realized how poor we were while growing up]. all that I can remember is that is was a 40 something Conn cornet that looked like a trumpet. it took a cornet mouthpiece. paid $50 for it and I gave it away to a buddy in high school and now wish I had it back. old geezer Dave

8. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    i also started with an olds ambassador

9. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I started my trumpet "career" in a church brass group and was given an old beat-up rotary trumpet. Maker unknown, I remember the brass was quite thin. I had it overhauled and I liked the sound... Maybe it still exists somewhere in that church.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bundy, VERY well used when it ended up in my hands. Thanks to a good service tech I was able to sell a better instrument than I'd purchased.