What words would you use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm thinking "fat".....up high, down low, don't matter....fat, baby....fat

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    ccNochops,
    I didn't understand the terms you used so I went to my 5 yr. old son and he explained them to me..........thanks

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    You may have read my description of the sound of my Stage 1 Cali light (rose brass bell)... on another thread...but here goes:

When played loudly: Fat and Gritty! (another friend described his as being "meaty"...I like that too)

When played softly: Clarified butter!

:thumbsup:

Food analogies? Eh... why not.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The problem can be summed up with the question, "What does an orange taste like?"

As we transit betwixt the senses we find one useless to describe another. What does green sound like? What does a major triad smell like? Ears, as much as any other organ, are subjective sensors taught to perceive what a particular culture wants you to think you are hearing. All our perception is learned. And all perception has two ends - the sensor, and the brain. Any perception created by the brain at its end is every bit as real as any which begins at the sensor. What is real to you may be nonsense to someone else who has learned to perceive differently. Columbus' ships were INVISIBLE to the natives of the shores he visited. Without a frame of reference, never having seen anything like them before, they were not able to perceive them. The men who came from the ships were naturally thought to be gods -they appeared from nowhere.
    Sometimes language just falls short. But auburn WAS good!

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Good to have a five year old to fall back on.......

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    About 5yrs. ago I bought a "new" martin committee which i must have played no more than about 20 hrs. total.I didn't take enough time testing it and when I took it home and played next to my STRAD.I hated it.I say it sounds like a kazoo next to my strad.I would say my bach sounds more majestic,just so much more apealing to MY ear.No disrespect to MARTIN,it's a well made and great playing horn,just not my preference in TIMBRE.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have always considered "auburn" to be the most beautiful color for womens hair. It also generates a picture in my mind of the fall season in the great northeast(USA). A symbol of natures most mature (occuring shortly before the trees shed their leaves in preparation for winter) and spectacular color (if you have never been in New York or New England in the fall, you have no idea what you are missing!). It has all of the nobility of gold, but isn't "born" that way.
    An auburn sound has warmth, depth, radiance and maturity. It is what I prefer when playing music not requiring arrows, flame throwers, jackhammers or SIMPLE elegance.