What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I am applying for graduate schools, and I could only afford the application fees of 4 different schools. Knowing myself, I probably shot too high, because one already turned me down. That leaves only three left. So my concern is, what do I do if no one accepts me? What would you do in that situation? I think it's too late to apply elsewhere (not that I have the application fees anyway).

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Question, if you can't afford the application fee, how are you going to afford to pay tuition, room and board, books?

Since money is an issue, look for scholarships, and probably something close to home.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I have no student loans at the moment, but that is my plan for graduate school. I had to work to pay for application fees, and at my wage it was hard. My parents were willing to help a little bit.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Don't go into debt to get a music degree. When you get out of school how are you going to pay the loan back??

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Perhaps I should restate my intent. I do have skills to do something else outside of music, so I'm not saying I will be homeless after college. However, I would like to go to graduate school in music. Are there any schools that you know of that accept late applications? I'm probably just a little worried, after all, I only heard from one school and it was probably the hardest to get into anyway.

bumblebee likes this.
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Grad school is progressively getting more difficult to get into from what I hear. It takes a bit of research ( which is what you are doing here I assume). The best way to get in to make them want you. Nothing worse then having a school see you as desparate.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    This is true.

8. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Take a year off, work, save. Apply next year on time. You'll be in better fiscal shape. Don't waste the time partying, pretending to be a grown-up, and lying to yourself. Use the time to it's best. That means working, and practicing what you've learned so far. Work is that thing that turns spare time into money.

In the end, you've got to learn to be honest about yourself. Are you applying to schools because of what they represent, or because of what you could accomplish there ? It is one thing to put yourself in position to stretch for growth. Quite another if you are self deluding about your potential, or commitment.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I like this answer.

Additionally, you haven't the answer from the other three schools so, as many of us who have had to wait for admissions, promotions, any kind of movement forward in a bureaucracy, crazy things can happen with an audition/interview. Don't count yourself down and out yet.

My specific suggestions if you aren't selected, is to look into junior college programs to get as many fundamental courses as you can out of the way. And the other is to work and save your money to pay for school when the time comes. I'm sure many posters' experiences parallel mine. I worked the summers of my 10th, 11th and 12th grades, as well as after school my last year and saved all but $20.00 of it (which went to a used surfboard on a clear-out sale from as surf shop), which went for school.

Good luck. Changing times! Stay flexible.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not getting accepted does not necessarily mean that your qualifications are weak. YOU have to analyse what happened and react to that. Many times preparation sucks and there is little tolerance from the school. Grad school means that you understand the grind and are predictable when it comes to requirements. What REALLY went wrong?