What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    What is your criteria for picking schools? You might consider "auditioning" the professors by arranging for a private lesson. You would be seeing if you could work with the teacher and, if the teacher likes you, you would have an ally at the school.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    That's the exact thought I had immediately upon reading it. Not that my heart doesn't go out to you, so best wishes for your next phase of life.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Have you taken the GRE for music, mchs3d? A strong showing there will help open doors.

4. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Most Master's degree graduate programs have well defined entry requirements such as GRE scores, undergraduate GPA as well as GPA in the major field, possibly discipline related standard test scores, auditions or other similar prerequisite standards. These requirements are published and you should be aware of them -- and therefore know if you meet them before applying for entry into that program. If you feel you meet (or met, in this case) those requirements, you should inquire to the departmental graduate admissions committee (or coordinator) and they should be willing to advise you of the reasons that you were not accepted into the program. At that point you will know what, if any, steps you can take to improve your possibilities of being accepted at some later time or into a program at another institution with similar entry requirements.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I think Rowuk has the best answer. I have done LOTS of homework, travel, etc so I'm not going into this blindfolded. I visited the school that rejected me. My experience was weird, I hated the town and had no connection with the teacher, so I'm not put out that they turned me down. The thought came to mind "well if they turn me down so will everyone else" which is ridiculous. I checked the GRE, and none of these schools want it. They are mostly conservatories.

I should add more information. This was a pre-screening that I didn't pass. No info as to why.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hmmh,

if your funds are as tight as you say, then would homework not include connecting with the trumpet prof ahead of time and finding out where the other grad students are? Why did you dump fees into a town that you hate? Can an artist succeed if they are picky about the town that they are in? Isn't the musicians life ALWAYS about getting lucky wherever they happen to be?

I have a lot of questions in my head that I did not have before. I notice when during auditions the students are (not) "hungry" enough. You can see it and hear it.

Profs in conservatories are very much interested in students that later will succeed. They decorate themselves with them. If you are a prof and NONE of your students get playing jobs, students stop coming.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well, going to school is not the same as getting a job. For me, finding the right teacher is very important, and I had little connection with said teacher. I would go there, though, if I got accepted and it was where I wanted to go. The town is less important to me overall, but it was simply an observation. Had I obtained work there then of course I would live there. I think as far as funds go, I didn't know exactly what to expect. Some of the schools charged $150 or more to apply, so I didn't have enough when it came to the moment to click "submit". Also, my visits were late in the year, so interestingly enough, I had already applied to school A when I went for my visit! Such are the difficulties of trying to figure out logistics in these situations.

I should note that in half these schools, I met the professor before I applied, and they even encouraged me to apply! So I did put in a lot of effort as to where I chose to apply. I figured if they already knew me and my playing, I had better chances of getting in.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    It worked out well, because school B invited me. It's my preferred school so that's good.