what would you do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

If you had a student who was having a difficult time on a particular technique (like lip flex., range, tongue speed, etc..) would you contintually assign them literature or would you have them focus on that particular area of weakness?

I've been having a hard time lately because of a lot of music to prepare but not much time to hit the weaknesses extensively. It seems in my mind that if you would isolate a problem while maintaining the things you already do well, it would be more beneficial than to keep working on solo's and excerpts that just frustrate you...hope that is clear enough...thanks for your time!

Jeremy

Can't wait for Mahler 1! I'm bringing a 5th grade student of mine and his entire immediate family Thursday night (29th) and they have never heard and orchestra before! And then I'm coming Friday night (30th)as well with my fiance who also has never heard an orchestra. I know they won't be disappointed! Take it easy! God bless!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, that's a tough one. My inclination would be to spend a lesson or two on the issue, depending on how well the student responds. Then, after a while, gradually introduce literature that helps focus the problem along with other things that take the student's mind off it; a distraction.

Sometimes students are unrealistic and want to work on things they're not ready for because they feel pressured to get things done because of this or that audition. No matter what you tell them, they want to audition rather than practice technique and it makes a teacher's job more difficult.

So, good luck... I hope you find a good balance.

ML