What would you most like to do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stewmuse, Mar 29, 2005.

If given the choice at being REALLY good at one type of playing, what would you want be?

1. orchestral (principal or section)

100.0%
  2. classical soloist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. jazz/rock lead player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. jazz soloist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. cornet/band soloist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. show/musical/pit player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. golfer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other (please specify in a reply)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Perhaps this is an American thing, since we all seem to want what we don't already have (consumeritis?), but it's really common to hear players who are pretty good talk about wanting to be known for something they don't do as well as what they are known for. Are you this way?

If you could be any type of player you wanted to be, and be REALLY good at it, what would you be? Take the poll! :grouphug:

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I voted for jazz/rock lead.... but I dunno if this poll is completely fair because I wanna do all the things except golf. But I would most like to do jazz/rock/commercial lead.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have always thought that the ultimate horn playing job would be that of the trumpet player in Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band. What a gig that must be!

While my vote was that of a Jazz/Rock lead player, I have also in the last year or so, gotten intense satisfaction playing drums, and I think that it would be really neat to play drums for a touring contemporary Christian rock band. I love the message, I really like the music, and virtually all of it is within the scope of my abilities as a drummer. There is just something about drumming that I don't get playing trumpet and it probably has much to do with the fact that I don't have to work so danged hard to play drums.

Anyway, that's what I would like to do.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jazz soloist, for sure.

Although, being Manny would be cool also! :-)

Greg

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Anything Orchestral. Unfortunately, I get very little opportunity for that sort of playing.

For jazz it's lead or nothing, though I've recently realized I have much to work on in that realm.

Now...if I were about 12 years younger and 50 pounds lighter, I think I'd love to be soloing for a drum corps such as the Phantom Regiment or Southwind (I know they never win, but if you've ever heard their sound...oooh.... I could take a bath in it)!

Okay...this was supposed to be ONE thing. Orchestra. That's always been my first love. Though really I enjoy playing just about anything (so long as it's not country or a jazz ballad featuring voice or saxes....ugh).

6. Groove Merchant

Groove Merchant New Friend

Mar 1, 2005
    Arizona
    It just isn't right to include golf on that list! My choice was easy, jazz soloist - individual expression, able to play until your last days, only need a few people to make an ensemble, etc. But then I saw golf and the choice became much more difficult. I bit the bullet and chose jazz soloist. The only good thing is that the golf gods can't make my game any worse.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I was torn between soloist and orchestral - I put soloist, because I don't think I'll ever make it as one. Would love to though!

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Definitely be able to play movie scores & recordings with the likes of Bergeron, Grant, McNabb, et al. To have the skill and training to be able to sight read down a session "on demand" would, I think, be the utmost in musical "gift".

9. bigthemat

bigthemat Pianissimo User

Mar 25, 2005
    i chose jazz soloist.

As fun as screaming is, it gets boring after a while. But with being a fantastic soloist, not only are you capable of doing an amazing job with jazz, but you are so good you can fake doing classical if needed.