What you guys busy with?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Paul Du Bourg, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Guys,

Busy with a several swinging numbers below:

Dat Dere - Bobby Timmons
    Unit 7 - Sam Jones
    Got a match - Chick Corea
    Blusette - Toots Thielemans
    Willow weep for me - Ann Ronell

Man these guys are HOT.

Please post your 5 "works in progress" that really "put a smile on your dial".

Off to the pub now because it's Friday.

Sheez can't believe it's been so long since I posted.

Selmer TT is still my favourite by the way.

Cheers,

PaulD

gunshowtickets likes this.
  2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Haveing a lot of fun playing home sweet home and it's variations out of Arbans

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just working on the intricate rhythms of "Samba # 1" - which is our big band's signature piece.

Big Band - Markus Fluhr

4. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Getting ready to list my house, so:

0. Work the "real" job
    1. Finish master bath remodel
    2. Install floating bamboo flooring in living room
    3. repair and re-stain the deck
    4. Basement wall repairs
    5. Carpet, flooring in kitchen, and paint a BUNCH of rooms.
    6. Finish de-clutter then list.

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I can relate to this.

1. Work. (this sucks)
    2. Getting married in six weeks.
    3. Try to find another job.
    4. Developing my waltz, foxtrot, and east coast swing.
    5. Trying to squeeze in time for friends, trumpet, powerlifting.

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Would Life slow down, please? I'd like to step off for a few minutes.

Man, this summer has been great, but about the polar opposite of what I had envisioned going into the end of May. I'm just now adjusting back to some bit of normality, and it's awesome. Never get bored with mundane routine. It's under-rated. So, here's what I'm doing:

1. Working systematically through Arban's to continue developing tone and range, and because there are a lot of trumpet skills/exercises I've neglected for too long.
    2. Toying with the Aebersold Maiden Voyage book - not beginner material by any stretch, but the challenge is quite fun.
    3. Learning guitar, because, you know, I don't have enough going on already.
    4. Trying to wrap my head around a new work schedule that is going to annoyingly rearrange my trumpet practices.
    5. Trying to plan a family vacation to squeeze in before the oldest squid goes back to school, and it will be at the last minute and done by the seat of my pants, but it will be fun.
    6. Working out and playing basketball every chance I get while wondering what's wrong with my left shoulder. Rotator cuff surgery may be looming ominously on the horizon.....dang it.
    7. Having realized that the Good Ole Days are right now, and with a growing family, I'm making the most of every day, and not allowing issues and problems to affect my outlook. I allow myself to be influenced by positive people, and try to find opportunities to help negative people. Every day is an amazing day, ripe for the taking, and life is tremendous. Never subside!

Ok, and number 8. One other project that I've put off for way, way too long, and that I'm sworn to secrecy on, but will be only too glad to share if it ever reaches completion.

7. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Great question!

First, congrats to gunshowtickets for six weeks time!

My list....
    1. Trying to work out how to even play while I stay in a Tibetan Buddhist Meditation centre for the weekend. ha!
    2. Pondering the tangled mess of bugle leadpipes currently sitting on the floor of my room here.
    3. Meditation
    4. ... ... ... ... ... ...(meditation joke)
    5. Zzzzz...

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I'll be as busy as I can stand this fall, with two kids 3-6 and the third comi in November, practicing for band 3 fall concerts and 2 holiday concerts this should be a blast!

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I got tired of playing trumpet, so I've been working on and riding old motorcycles instead. I've practiced 3 or 4 times so far this summer, played in church a couple weeks ago. Surprisingly, my playing and endurance didn't seem to suffer enough to worry about. Brass band cranks up again in another couple months, so I suppose I'll have to start practicing again in a few more weeks...:shock:

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    For the first time in 40 years I am going through the Arbans--front to back (yep, I'm a little OCD) at maximum stated tempo.
    I'm also working Richard Winslow's piccolo method.
    That's enough.