What you hear is how you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Listening to "old skool" jazz musicians (Dizzy, CT and the like) talk was/is a delight: there is something about their diction that is magical.

As for live playing, listening to Doc and Maynard were real ear-openers for me. They were LOUD! As a high-school kid squeezing notes through my Jet-Tone it sounded to me like Maynard, and I couldn't understand why people weren't more impressed with my playing.

As for the vocal part of playing, I believe that we should have the ability to shape notes like singers and the taste to know how much and when.

In college, my roomate and I had three recordings of the Rite of Spring: Chicago, Los Angeles, and Boston with Rolf Smedvig playing principal. The D trumpet part first solo was banged out by Bud and Tommy, but Rolf "emoted" to the point that we would (literally) roll on the floor laughing. Please don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to bash Rolf (a fantastic player), but this recording showed me that while we may be Superman (Supermen, Superpersons) sometimes the Clark Kent bit serves our art better.

2. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Right on! Trying to play a Mexican type sound on a trumpet is something that we would be hard pressed to learn whereas people raised in that tradition probably have trouble not inflecting that sound into their music. And those crazy sounds made by cornets and trumpets in the era from 1910 to 1930 or so would be next to impossible for most modern players. Old cartoons had those sounds from horns as background. There is no right way. Play it as you like it. The audience usually never knows music from baseball anyway.