Whatcha Playing Today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Credit Tom (VetPsychWars) and his Friday flugeling for this thread. Might be interesting, or maybe not... Anyway, I washed my main horn this morning and decided to play something different for a while. I dug my 50 Super Artist out of the closet, popped in its old Blessing #13 mouthpiece, and have been having a great time. So, what are you playing today?:play:
    Jim

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Today is improv using the old scales like Mixolydian and such and some ear training. I'm feeling Somewhere Over the Rainbow like this..

Chris Botti - Over the Rainbow (2012) - YouTube

As for horns, I'm happy on my Olds Standard. I may bust out the 1918 E.A. Couturier, before I take pictures and put it up for sale.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Today, I play on my 56 Conn Victor 6B and also a 53 Conn 22B NY Symphony. Can't wait to get my 58 Recording back from the Kanstul factory soon.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Last night at community band ---- My King 600 and my Asymmetric 3C+544 mpc. Today? who knows -- haven't started yet!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    For me, today is a day to work myself gently back into shape. I've been really sick with a bad sinus infection for the last couple of weeks - sick enough that I'm waiting for the results of some allergy tests and a CT scan to figure out what went wrong. Today will be a day for whatever equipment feels good, but most likely V Raptor #2 and ACB MV3C / ACB 3B, since that's what I'll be using on most of my jobs next week. Wish me luck!

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't even remember what a Mixolydian scale is, DaTrump!:shock: But, since its cloudy here in northeast Indiana today, and since you and your melancholy Botti clip have affected my mood (not a bad thing), I think I'll continue my pathetic attempts at improvising on Scarborough Fair a little later today. I found a Bb arrangement on free-scores.com and raised it a few steps. It has been engaging and useful for me so far. It will also provide a nice opportunity to continue experimentation with the two vintage Blessing mouthpieces (a #13 and a #15) that I have for the Super Artist in hopes of settling on desired sound quality (darker/ brighter, mainly).
    Jim

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best wishes to you as you recover, flugelgirl. Good luck!
    Jim

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'm with Comeback - hang in there FlugelyGirl! Nothing worse than sinus infections for messing up one's playing. Fighting one myself now.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe two or three tunes out of the Eddie Brookshire Quintet songbook if he can survive it!