Whatcha Playing Today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 28, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

Don't worry, I didn't either until a few years back. Yesterday I learned the Super Locrean scale, I asked my trumpet teacher why the heck I would use it and he didn't know! But I learned it and still improv-ed on it.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Just thinking about that makes my chops hurt.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I will be playing 5 -10 minutes of "short" long tones... an hour or so from the Eddie Brookshire Quintet song book (we are playing tomorrow at a Jazz Fest in the afternoon), then a half hour on some Jazz Study etudes, I'm into the section of using false fingerings for accenting runs.

I start on my Kanstul flugelhorn, then alternate between this combinations... Olds Ambassador (first half of song)/Martin Committee (second half of song); Olds Recording '67 (first half of song)/Olds Recording '53 (second half of song); Kanstul 1526 Flugel (first half of song)/Getzen Eterna (second half of songs).

Why? I like to keep all horns in play as there is no telling which of my irons I will take into play.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Antibiotics and a puffy jaw!:roll::-( no playing for me until this tooth bit is done( sometime after Tuesday when the tooth comes out):-(:evil::oops:

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    today i was staggered. I played my new to me Stomvi Zenith (third or fourth time) with my new Asymmetric Opera mpc (first time use). Never before have i owned c above the stave. I was so surprised i fingered wrong going back down the scale - so started back down from the high c again - spot on.

6. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    A whole lot of nothing so far! Well, I did do a few scales in between cases. So 10 minutes total for today? Yes, shame on me!!

I'm in a rut...does anyone have a funky tune I could play? I need a little excitement to get me back on a horn!!

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Do you like movie themes, Recursion? I have had one rattling around in my head for the last several days, off and on. This afternoon I took a couple minutes and found a free score online. Though I'll probably lower it a couple steps eventually, it has been fun trying to get what is in my head out of the bell of my horn. I'm betting you could find something to help you get way funky!
    Jim

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Gb baby!!!!

9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I'll be working on all my technical as usual, followed by Arban's 12th characteristic study, the Hummel, Pakhmutova's Concerto, Arutunian's concerto, and I'll run through a few etudes as well. Playing on my Bach Artisan with a Denis Wick 1.5C.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mixalodian. Is that. Where you throw a bunch a sharps and flats together?