Whatcha Playing Today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Hi Jim:

Absolutely! Do you have any suggestions? I've just been at a loss lately ... nothing's been coming to mind. I'm open to ideas!!

Recursion

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, what I'm fooling around with may not rate highly on the funk-o-meter, Recursion, but I watched The Last of the Mohicans for maybe the 50th time a couple days ago during treadmill workouts. Now I can't get the theme song out of my head. That is the free score I found online via a minute or two of googling. It is challenging enough for me and my nascent improvisational skills. Let us know if you find something really cool!
    Jim

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Today is Grand Final Day in Melbourne, started with Sunshine, fine and light breezes, and cool. Expected to be 95% Rain, hails. sleet and snow showers on the hills with a wind chill to about 8 degrees by the time the game is running. Of course, these will be clearing with howling hot notherlies to bright Sunday. - That's Melbourne .

GO HAWKS!!!

Oh - trumpet, that's on hold for me for a few more days.

4. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Thanks for the inspiration, Jim!

Okay, for starters, I've drummed up the Mission Impossible Theme, and I think I have the sheet music. It's a nice short piece that sounds fun to play. Here's a Youtube Video that I can play through my stereo so I can play along!

(Sorry neighbors, it's Friday night & I've got the bug!) ;-)

Recursion

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty, and Symphonic Dance #3. What a combination! Today on by Eterna Classic and kicking it pretty good. Tomorrow polka stuff for the Octberfest in McGregor Iowa. Outdoors, so it will be my Xeno. Im supposed to get paid for sitting in with the Guttenburg Polka band, at least I could use some gas money and a free meal. Ive been looking foreward to it for a long time now. Best wishes.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So it's Buck Tooth with a Bach!

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Oumpah music for German band performance.
    Plus all my other stuff too: community band pieces, brass band pieces, and the hard meat from my teacher: Arban studies and pieces, contemporary etudes, etc...

Why in the world did I order these blues duets from SheetMusicPlus?

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The thread originally started out about hardware...

I played a happy hour gig with a swing octet earlier tonight. Usually I play my "combo horns" -- a '56 Committee Deluxe trumpet and a Calicchio Copper flugelhorn. But tonight, at the last minute, I decided to take my "big band horns" -- a '58 Olds Recording trumpet and a '58 Olds Special flugel. They worked fine and nobody noticed the difference, destroying any remaining illusions I may have had that the distinctions matter. (Well, except to justify owning more horns to my wife...)

Following the trend of the thread to what music we're playing "today," I had no input on the set list. But as an encore we played an arrangement of "At Last" that was commissioned by the piano player to showcase her vocal chops (it's basically a transcription of the Etta James version, with the trumpet taking the violin lead). The piano player can sing, but her vocal stylings are completely overwrought and over the top. There were two jazz choruses before the recap -- one for tenor sax, one for trumpet. I normally wouldn't play a plunger solo on a ballad, but it seemed completely appropriate tonight.

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Herding Cats

Always fun to see where a thread goes, isn't it? And keeping trumpet players headed in the same direction seems much like herding cats anyway!:D

Your observation about instruments, "They worked fine and nobody noticed the difference, destroying any remaining illusions I may have had that the distinctions matter.", is telling, isn't it nieuwguyski?

Recursion's idea about finding scores and playing along with recordings on youtube might be fun and useful, especially for those of us that don't get out much with our instruments.

I'm sticking with my Super Artist today. I'll be playing my normal routine; scales, Arban's, and tunes of the moment. I don't think I've ever explored the full potential of the old Super Artist. Perhaps it is time.

Jim

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Re: Herding Cats

G-Man, It's a back one( molar) luckily. one underneath it has been gone for a while so no support. drifted down and stuff got under it. am losing bone mass in the jaw:-(:oops: