Whatcha Playing Today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 28, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GEE whiz, it is Saturday and about 10AM -- Cinncinati is only like 8 hours away ---- nope, can't make it in time!!!!!!!!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We finished the East Price Hill Jazz Fest with the crowd wanting more... but alas there was a band to go on after us. Anyway, here is what I played today.

Surrendered Life - A song written by our leader, Eddie and is on our band's CD
    Potter's Clay - Swing/bop tune written by our sax player, Jack Novotny
    I'll Remember April - Jazz standard by Raye-DePaul Johnstone
    Midnight in Tuscany - An Italian ballad written by me... a Hungarian... Go figure
    Cheesecake - Dexter Gordon bop tune
    Myth of Poseidon - Swing tune writte by our Keyboard player Keigo Herakawa
    Povo - Jazz Rock standard written by Freedie Hubbard

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    "We finished the East Price Hill Jazz Fest with the crowd wanting more..."
    Unfamiliar w/your playlist, but it is noteworthy that so much of your stuff was original. And your outcome was certainly the best that could be expected!:thumbsup:
    Jim

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jim, Fort Wayne is not that far away, we could have made you more familiar with our play list. It was a beautiful day in a valley surrounded by rolling hills with victorian houses boarding the park. It reminded me very much of San Francisco, as Cincinnati has the recognition as being the second hilliest large city in the country.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM, someday ---- I am going to show up at one of these live events --- I hope you have time for an autograph!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, it would be my pleasure to provide you with my autograph, but even more a pleasure for you to be able to experience our music live.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Surrendered Life

Very nice, Gary. Thank you! I really enjoyed your solo between 2.30 and 3.40. Was that your Recording or Committee? I appreciated your encouragement concerning attending some concerts, too. Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus are all within day-tripping distance for us. Hopefully, as I get closer to retirement and various academic responsibilities diminish, my Mrs. and I will have a little more time for fun!

Jim

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    A lot of Polkas.

It pays as well as anything else.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: Surrendered Life

Thanks much Jim for the complement. Claudio Roditi did teach me well. I owe much of my jazz vocabulary to him

Neither, that was my large bore Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn. One of the reasons I bought the Kanstul was to mellow the flugelhorn sound which has been accomplished with the Kanstul as while the Getzen warms up in the lower range, I play much of my soloing in the upper range, and wanted to keep a mellower sound in that range.

Jim, put in a good word for the EBQ at the Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis, and we come closer to your door step. We have hit the circuit in Ohio with Gillys and the Nighttown, but even with these club owners connections, we have yet to crack into the performance schedule at the Jazz Kitchen.