What's a "coda"?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccNochops, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    So, like I'm in the spare room, got this piece of coiled brass tubing in one hand and a piece of paper with lines in the other. It looks familiar in a strange way, but I'm having trouble reading it. I turn it upside down....nope, close my eyes.....better, turn it side ways.....guy in black jumps in the room & lops my head off with something I thought was a flute (y'all know how those flute players are) yelling something in a strange tongue about butchering the melody. So tell me warriors of the "come back trail", how'd y'all get back to reading music? Flats, sharps, quarter notes, triplets......the eyes can see, but the mind is a terrible thing :oops: ...chuck

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

I would suggest you make it easier on yourself and go out and buy a First Division Band Method Book series (books 1-4). Your investment will be about $30 and it will take you step by step through all of the reading, musical terms, and it will make your comeback happen in an organized manner.

I teach beginner band and my students have already covered repeat dots, D.C. al Fine and first and second endings. They can't play a lot of music yet, but they are already learning the basic musical terms.

At your age the first two books will take you about 2 days, and books 3 and 4 actually have some fun exercises in them that will get you ready to play in the Arbans or whatever trumpet method you choose.

Good luck!

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Believe it or not.....

....I still have the original first two books from 40 years ago....thanx Mom :-) (she saves everthing)

4. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Digging through and playing my old music is such a blast. I think the brain and fingers still remember some of those quick passages, just by memory!

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Chuck,

Welcome aboard.. I see you've not posted alot so I assume your new.

Ah yes, music notation.

I just jumped into it. I play in a community band and see a lot of interesting notations. Some I can find in reference and some I can't seem to find anywhere.

TM is also a great resource I've posted questions here before and had them answered in minutes sometimes.

Like Tacet what's that mean? I now know it means to not play.

Anyway I guess the short answer is Play in as many settings as you can. Work with a teacher if you can (I do and that has also proven most helpful) get a reference book for music notation I have "Essential Dictionary of Music Notation" which was given to me by my teacher.

Last but not least by a long shot post your question here. TM has been invaluable to me as I pick up where I've left off.

Have fun!

John

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    My aching head......and lips

Thanx guys, it's a real stuggle to stay the course in the books & not just screw off playing stuff by ear. Luckily, I was presented with "momentos" from Mom a few years back in the form of my old band folder. What a rip that was flipping through some really old music stuff....like an old mimeograph copy of a practice sheet. Unsigned, of course :-)
    Anyhow, I'm working through vintage copies of the "1st Division Band Method, a Edwards-Hovey Method, & Technical Studies book by Clarke", practicing in bursts of 30 minutes or so, three to four times a day. At 50, seems like I could use an oxygen bottle in the practice room for some reason :dontknow: . Somebody needs to move those little "breathe" marks closer. Hanging in there, glad to be back, wishing now I'd kept the horn closer all those years.....chuck

7. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Welcome back...I find that my level of enjoyment is equal or greater to what I was experiencing when I quit (which is probably the reason I stopped playing in the first place).

For me the hardest part is finding time to practice on a regular basis. I can very easily end up working overtime, 2nd jobs, and family comittments eat up a lot of my already minimal amount of free time.

There are some invaluable resources available on this site. Players that talk the talk and walk the walk. (I am not one of them however :-))

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hang in there Chuck..

I'm a little younger then you at 38 but I know where your coming from.

I put my horn down for about 20 years. It's taken me about 1 1/2 years of practicing but I'm back! And better then I was!

I give a lot of credit to Alex Yates for that. She is my teacher and I met her here. She would be one of those players 40Cal was referencing "Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk"

So this only solidifies my statement that TM is a valuable resource so use it. I'm back and playing better then ever just stick with it!

If you search the forums here you find fixes for about anything that you need.

Keep chiming in and don't be shy. Most of all welcome back!