What's a good range on an Eb trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skinicod, Jun 4, 2010.

1. skinicod

skinicod New Friend

Jun 4, 2010
    Hi,

I play a Bb trumpet, and have a working range from low F# up to Eb above High C (by working range I mean good tone and good dynamic control - I can play higher but the tone becomes thin). I've recently bought an Eb trumpet, and have been playing it regularly for the last 2 months. However with this instrument, I am struggling to get a decent tone above the G# below High C. I can just about get up to high C, but that sounds completely weak. Obviously this range will improve with practice, but my question is - do higher trumpets tend to have smaller ranges? If so by how much? Hope this is a ridiculous question, but I like to know a ball park of what I should be aiming for...

Cheers,

Paul

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Paul,
    the biggest problem with higher pitched instruments is in the heads of the players. They have a sound concept for the big horn and that is not what these instruments do. When you learn to relax instead of trying to make that horn sound like a Bb or C, everything will be OK. The best thing that I can recommend is tunes, tunes and more tunes. Music will let you find that horns "voice" afterwards you will be just fine!