What's a rehearsal band??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    (Google just seems to know "rehearsal - band" and "rehearsal, band": those I can figure out.)

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    What I can dredge up from memory is that over the years, some music composer would pay for a studio group to play their new compositions so that fine tuning could be done on the scores, before an actual recording session , etc, by a "name group." I think that applied to big band, rock groups, etc.

Also, vocalists could work on new material with a rehearsal group ahead of their main gig. I am sure others could elaborate, or correct me if I am wrong.

Jude likes this.
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    In my neck of the woods rehearsal bands are run to keep people playing. It is made up of pro's and semi pro's and students and arrangers and composers can bring charts to play test and get feedback on. These bands don't gig, or gig very little.

It is a way of making connections

Jude likes this.
  4. zoundz

zoundz Banned

Jul 26, 2007
    Burbank
    The rehearsal band that I play in is pretty straightforward. We get together on Monday nite and play big band charts for a couple of hours. We have fun. We work on our chops. We get to play in a totally non-judgmental environment. No worries about clams. No egos about who gets the solo. Very pleasant way to go. Our band has been playing for something like 25 years. We have maybe 500 charts. We practice in a municipal park facility and play a few gigs every year to "pay" for our use of the facilities. There are old guys that have been playing for hundreds of years and relatively young guys and everything in between. People show up and play. People don't show up. We play good. We play horrible. We play for the fun of it. Isn't that what music is all about?

Jude likes this.
  5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    There are a couple of rehearsal bands here in the Twin Cities. They're mainly bands that play "in" more than they play "out." I've done some good networking in these bands, and had a lot of fun while doing it. Also, coming from a classical background, these groups have been great for me to work on my jazz chops.

-Jimi

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Some incredible players came up through Don Ellis' rehearsal band.

Jude likes this.
  7. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Thanks for the responses, everybody - it sounds like a great concept.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Rehearsal Bands in New York were usually all-star groups of the busiest guys in town who wanted to play music their way, not the way they were highly paid to play. Thad and Mel's band existed because of the love for Thad's writing.
    Clark Terry and Duke Pierson's band operated for the same reasons. Pro's having fun!
    Wilmer

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Joe Henderson also had a big band like that. They even did an album