What's been the biggest "demon" for you in terms of trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Me! get a teacher. All kidding aside, coming up in the business I've worked with trumpet players who worked with Bunny Berigan ,Harry James, Sinatra, etc. etc. , the list goes on and on ,anyway they all said the same thing , you never stop learning,there's always room for improvement, and there's always someone that can do something better than you.
    So the biggest demon you can have is to stop trying to be best player you can be.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Me. Lol. Part of it may have been random fluke and part of it may have been strengthening my embouchure with prescribed exercises, but it seemed like my endurance got a lot better after I started regular lessons. Overall, as soon as I switched focus off of my embouchure and onto supporting my sound with air things seemed to get a lot easier on the face, and that combined with making a conscious effort to lessen pressure seemed to help.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I wish the hell I knew what "letting the air do the work" means.
    -------
    While a little outside the original question, this might help.
    Most trumpet players use way too much force to get the job done. Part of taming that beast called the trumpet is getting control of the air used. Generally, the amount of force needed to play is about what it takes to exhale. Work towards that type of air force to get the job done. I would recommend reading circle of breath.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The biggest demon are the posters at Trumpetmaster looking for free range with mouthpieces, embouchure changes or miracles in the general trumpet forum that I moderate. :evil:

As far as my own playing goes, my first girlfriend was a major distraction (a lovely, talented clarinet/sax player).

My family didn't have much money so private lessons were a major strain. I had a part time job to help pay and even although it was REALLY TIGHT sometimes, I never missed a lesson. It was something I wanted more than anything else.

Patience with those around me that did not share my extreme attitude. When does thorough preparation NOT help you get gigs? When you let the conductor know how miserably he is prepared. I had a big mouth and often got it stuffed...........

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rum like in "meine Zeit ist 'rum?" Or more like "um dem Busch herumschlagen"?

6. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Markie, I just sent you a PM.

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    My health

Suffered double pneumonia 2 years ago, and i'm very sensible to dry climate, my mouth gets arid and my lips became wooden

and I'm always sick, now I have this annoying cold that just wont go away

aarrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh

8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Finding time to practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I'm just another comeback player, and pretty much all of the above have been my problems and they are all still around but the best advises would be get a very good teacher, even Doc Severinsen used a teacher long into his career just to keep in shape and remind him of his own faults. CW P.S. In Docs own words the trumpet is jealouse mistress she wants all your time and attention.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Rapid (up to tempo) triple tonguing throughout long phrases, such as those found in classic cornet solos. My tongue seems to get thick and won't respond fast enough. Not a problem with double tonguing, though...must be the two tu's in a row that get me. I'm still working on it. :play: