What's been the biggest "demon" for you in terms of trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    In order: range, endurance, pitch, tonguing, sight reading. But I have to relativize, really. Never touched an instrument until age 26, but through hard work and lessons joined a little municipal marching band after only 18 months. Then quit playing for years and is now just 3 months back into real practice. So I guess that, everything considered, being able to hit a high C on a good day is nothing to sneeze at. If I don't see any good progress in a year, I will definitely seek help outside of the books/methods.

Perhaps my biggest problem is life distractions and that nagging feeling that, no matter how hard I work at it (and if I work too hard I loose my lips!) I will never sound like those "real" musicians. You know, the kind who learned when they were kids and all...

Love the site Rowuk, I especially enjoyed the "how a trumpet makes sound" thread.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    the problem in my area is THERE ARENT ANY TEACHERS!!!!!!!!!!! I eben e-mailed a trumpet teacher at a college about 40 miles from my home 3 weeks ago, and no response. Due to my work schedule I really cant travel very far, so Im kina in a bind, as far as lessons go

3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Mine used to be double-tonguing. Now, it's mouthpiece pressure. Actually, it's always been mouthpiece pressure; I just never really tried to correct it (and neither did my instructors).

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    More like "andresrum."

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Mine is inconsistency. One day I sound as if the Good Lord has blessed my lips;the next I've been cursed with lips made of chopped liver. Haven't been able to solve it.:dontknow:

6. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Self-discipline.

7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Putting the horn down for 30 years........

8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I hear ya, ccNochops- I did the same thing; STUPID-STUPID-STOOOOOOPID-WHY DID I DO IT?????????????:evil:

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    The trumpet

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    rofl