What's been the biggest "demon" for you in terms of trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Nov 15, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Pride.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Quality.

3. kuismat

kuismat New Friend

Mar 23, 2009
    How many of us are there?

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Stage fright in front of big audiences. What I get goes beyond fear- dry mouth, can't think, terminal fear. If I can last the first minute or so it goes away. Never happens in small venues, and for some odd reason I've always been completely relaxed playing in a church.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    MJ sez: The trumpet
    ---------
    Yep, I'd say that's all our demons. Gosh I wonder if they have an AA for trumpet players. I hear there's a temperance movement to abolish the instrument. They call themselves the clarinet section.

6. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Oh man, this is a major challenge for me, it occurs once I'm singled out, whether it be a solo performance or a case where I'm the only trumpet. I've got assessments just round the corner and I'm hoping for the best where this is concerned. No matter how well prepared I am, everythings just seems to grid to a halt!

Struggling with this and it is tremendously frustrating. Pick up the horn today and play something sweetly and the next day (heck, sometimes an hour later) and it has all gone to crap. Just earlier tonight this happened and I wondered why am I really playing trumpet. But always keep comming back despite the challenges.

I cant seem to get my tongue loose, and havent been able to multiple tongue yet either. Have to perform 'A Trumpeter's Lullaby" for grading and struggling with the quickness of the tongue and the widespread use of staccato.

My other challenge is range. I have no desire to be a screeching player like MF and Sandoval. Right now I just want to play the compass from low F# to High C comfortably and consistently. Still struggling to get past A on a good day.

I must say its people like Rowuk, Wilmer and some other very experienced players on this site that help to keep me motivated, their reminderss that playing is a process that unfolds over time is so important. It keeps me hopeful that one day I will be good.

7. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    -My conscience draging me down.
    -The feeling I get from not feeling improvement
    -Or my naive impatients for improvement

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    ...trying to remember to read ahead so that I am ready for that fast run with the tricky fingering! That is, I find that I am always playing behind because when I hit a note correctly, my mind immediately goes into a mental detour - something like, "Wow! I just hit that note right on. I wonder if I will be able to hit the next one? Let's see - what is the interval? - Need to adjust my lip muscles, etc. etc. Then before I know it, everyone else is are half way through the run and I can never catch up so I just fake it...just finger, no blowing. Well, I guess I can get away with doing that in band practice as there are 10 other trumpets to cover the parts. But, during a solo, that doesn't go over very well.

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, so many things!!!! It's been something different every few years, though - I've recently done a lot of work on my sound. It just felt like it kind of went away for a while - now it's back. Probably a product of frustration! I spent last year working on consitancy and speed after surgery on my right hand, and then a broken third valve finger. One of my consistant demons, though, has always been playing softly below the staff so that is always a part of my warm ups. I'm horrible at auditions, too - why I can play well in front of a large audience but horribly in front of two people I'll never figure out! Right now I'm also working towards getting a better classical sound in the brass quintet I'm playing with - I sound a bit too commercial at times, but that's how I was trained! Oh, well -at least I can swing the hell out of a jazz chart for BQ, instead of that horrible feel some legit guys like to call swing!:lol:
    One of the things I'm really trying to remember right now to make my playing better is that wonderful feeling of joy and fearless expression that I used to get out of playing when I was younger. Sometimes it feels like the harder I work, the more I seem to focus on what's wrong than just the sheer joy of how good it feels to play! I think if I can get back to that feeling, that together with how much I've grown as a player will help get me to the next level of musicianship.

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    My #1 issue that have yet to overcome is playing G above the staff.

My # 2 issue is finding a quality teacher that can actually see what I'm doing so they can guide me, and should I seek help over the internet?

My # 3 issue is endurance

My # 4 issue quality of consistant tone

I read, and read and read all the great information that is on these posts and internet in general about trumpet playing and I'm going mad.
    What to believe? Will I get ripped off? etc.

No I'm not looking for no magic answer, just some face to face guidence, I am willing to do the work.

Sorry

Maybe I got off track, but alittle frustration is starting to set in, and I dont want to put the horn down for another 35 years because I'll be dead!!

I'm Out!!:play::play::play::play::play::play::play::play: