What's been the biggest "demon" for you in terms of trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of the advice you read on various trumpet sites is worth what you paid for it... :whistle:

Lot of bad information out there, especially regarding equipment. This is my worthless take: Get reasonably good horn, a middle of the road mouthpiece, an Arban's book, and practice. Work on things you can't play, not the things you can. Remember to support your playing with good breathing.

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thank you for your response

I use a 1947 Selmer Grad Prix, use a Bach 1 1/2 mouth peice, and use my Arbans book plus an old Leon Marian book. I practice 1 to 2 hrs daily. I will take at least 1 day off during the week, that day varies.

Just seems I am not getting any where, or maybe I'm just over analyzing this issue too much.
    However Practicing and my will to not give up has to succed !! When? Hopefully before I die !!

I have song to play damm it !! LOL

Thanks again :play:

3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    double/triple tonguing
    endurance - especially with braces
    high notes

4. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    To the Kraken: Don't worry about your G above the staff, and all the other issues concentrate on finding a qualified teacher mine is very qualified and runs me $75.00 per hour I find that two hrs a month works for me, with my job and other things it give me two weeks to work on his assighnments and it is working well. I'm a comeback guy after 40 years and I have no illusions of being Doc Severinson, but I want to be the best I can be, and to get there you need guidence. Best of luck CW

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thank you Carroll

I have been looking for a quality teacher in my area, but with verifiable trumpet qualifications. I might have no choice but to drive into Los Angeles which adds to the expense, but at my age I'm willing if someone is willing to guide me, even if the traffic is very bad, there has to be very good qualified teacher/s in that population.

I also wish to be the best I can be......

Thanks for you insight

Yours in Trumpet & Music

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Finding my own sound...getting closer though! :cool:
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

7. aboomer90

aboomer90 New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    Durham, NC
    My main "area of interest" for improvement would have to be playing with too much pressure. I have a decent range (High D on a good day, high Eb on an excellent day) and pretty good tone quality, but me playing with pressure is holding me back from extending my range, I think.
    Also, I use a tight-lipped embouchure (some refer to it as a "smiling" embouchure) and I've been trying to gradually loosen my lips but it doesn't seem to be working.
    Tight embouchure + pressure = ow. :thumbdown:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  8. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    My rapidly growing mouthpiece collection...seriously its getting worse:-?

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Q- How do you get ten clarinet-players to play in tune?

A- Shoot nine of them!

ROFL

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    No thats funny ROFL