What's been the biggest "demon" for you in terms of trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You mean shoot all ten, right?

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    My impatience is my "demon". I am some what ignorant when it comes to taking advice.

Ussally if I don't like it I just ignore it. I was always looking for ways to improve "anything" That had to do with trumpet playing when my teacher was right their telling me what to do. I had no clue what made me realize this was going on ,but Im slowly coming around. Wish I would have realized this earlier ,but owell I can only get better from here.

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I can stand up and play a concerto with an orchestra in front of a large audience without any problems but as soon as anyone points a microphone at me I go to pieces!

4. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    1) SIGHTREADING!
    2) endurance
    3) the fracs. ex. playing a G oops Bb. (only above the bar line)

5. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    1) Endurance. Always been my biggest problem.
    2) Range. As a comeback player, 48 years old, and now working through a total embrouchure change with my teacher, its been a tremendous struggle.
    3) Damn those tricky, awkward fingering needed, difficult articulated passages.
    4) The grey matter between my own two ears. Probably causes me more playing problems than anything else.

6. rhapsody

rhapsody New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Colorado
    blowing entrances after long rests because I am not hearing the starting pitch before I play it.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Nerves, and like HSO, single tonguing and where to place the tongue. Its been lazy for a while, and through about a month and a half of lessons its become clean, but now its a manner of making it as consistent as possible. Another demon I had was gaining confidence in my playing and realizing I didn't suck, once I got over the confidence issue, my playing got much better, stronger, and in the process i've found "my" sound!

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    nerves and confidence. when the nerves kick in my tone and endurance just go away.

9. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Comfort. When I have practiced a piece and can play it well, I get to comfortable with it and let my mind wander, usually during a performance.

Ohh...lots of people here.

She is cute.

Man, do I sound good in here.

Then all of a sudden reality comes knocking and knock me back a peg or two.

Man do I hate that.

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Consistency. Every day feels different. Even though I play the same routine every day I never really really know how it's going to go. This comes from too much reading then thinking and ultimately changing pedagogy. I can't just stick with something because after a few weeks of something new feeling good...it doesn't anymore. I have stuck with my current approach to playing for a few months now and I think I hit it. On with progress!

Other than that:
    -range
    -endurance

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009