What's considered a fair attempt?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codemonkey, Feb 7, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think it really helps to get some stuff that is really fun and easy to play, like pops fake-books. Also, I think that listening to trumpet music that really inspires you (or even non-trumpet music that gets your heart racing or triggers an emotional response) is totally motivating. Especially live!

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Codemonkey - I have one of those little tuners that also has a metronome function, but mostly I just tap my foot lol.

You know, even the simplest things sound great on the trumpet. "One Day Over The Rainbow" for instance, is really a pretty decent song. And a singer's vocal range is about as limited as we beginners' on trumpet, so I think you'll find the vocal line from a lot of songs isn't too hard to play.

I've told myself I'm giving myself a year, and if I'm not getting places I'll play the sax, but the more I keep going the less I seem to be in danger of that happening.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    For those of you who are 'newbies', the attitude that you are "giving it a try" is going to help you fail at the soprano cup mouthpiece brass instrument,( trumpet or cornet ). As my old trombone playing veterinarian used to say, ( quite frequently ), "even a gelding can try". The job at hand is to assume the attitude that you fully intend to do everything in your power to succeed.

I speak as a 72 year old 'comebacker' who gave up on the trumpet 49 years ago and have been back to it for just over three years. I currently still take lessons from the principal trumpet in our local symphony orchestra, play utility trumpet in one community concert band, first chair second trumpet in another, principal trumpet/cornet in an excellent brass ensemble in a local mega church, and am I am getting lots of calls to do some solo work in other evangelistic churches in a fifty mile radius of home. In addition to the above, I joined Bugles accross America to sound Taps for various military funerals and also for three Memorial Day commemorations. If at my age and poor state of physical health, I can get it done, SO CAN ANY OF YOU!!

OLDLOU>>

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are my hero, OLDLOU!

5. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    You might try to find a local community band. They're a lot of fun and hopefully does occasional public performances. A good start, and you can see where you are (and need to go) compared to your peers. Sitting next to a good 1st trumpet is an eye opener... (nothing wrong with a little humility)

2nd-- find the best trumpet player in town and take lessons.

3rd-- How do you get a million bucks in the music business?
    Start with two million (rim shot!).

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Oldlou - wow. Thanks, I needed that.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vulgano Brother's Pleasure Postulate: If we continually find that the payoff from performing exceeds the amount of work and effort that goes into preparation, the trumpet will be most pleasurable.

It is more than fun, but more than easy, too.

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    That's one for my permanent file ! =)

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No question about it. Attitude is everything!!
    And it's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", Eeviac!! (This post mainly to catch up to your 168 posts!!)
    Pianissimo, my a**!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  10. tripletongue

tripletongue New Friend

Feb 9, 2008
    You gotta just get to the place that it's really fun to play. If you watch other trumpeters and dig what they do and want to do it too, you should stay true to practicing hard and building up some chops. You don't have to be amazing to have fun playing and people can enjoy it if you do.