What's going on? Overblowing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oreoflake, Aug 27, 2010.

1. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    I searched around TM and Google, but I can't seem to find the right search words to describe this.

Recently, since the start of summer vacation, I've been slacking a little in my practice (I have no good excuse except that I was being stupid). Almost a month ago, I started up practicing two times a day like I used to, around an our a day total. It's mostly quintet stuff and Arban's, along with some improv. My tone's there, but there's something else there too...

Best way to describe it is, I hear almost two different tones playing at once. One is the note I'm aiming at, and the other sounds sort of like a pedal tone. Did I do something to my chops? Am I overblowing? Am I putting too much pressure on my mouth? What can I do to fix this?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Search for double buzz. There should be stuff under that name.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    +1 on the double buzz- it can happen when you're chops are tired or even a little out of shape. It will most likely go away when you continue with your normal practice for a while.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA

Unfortunately, searching on this forum for "double buzz" won't help. The search function here seems to use the 'OR' function - that is, it returns every post which contains either word. It should use the 'AND' function so that it returns only those with both words. So, the returns are pretty much useless when using more than one word in the search. But, Google may have something (in fact, Google will search this forum so you still may find something here).

Good luck.

5. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    Ah, okay. I found it. Thanks everyone!

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    You're in luck. This is easy to fix.
    Here goes:
    From your description, it sounds like you're double buzzing and wish to get rid of this phenomenon.
    First read-Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment
    Watch-Urban Agnas videos on "Flow'
    --
    Play a soft long tone and "slowly" bend it up and down without going into the next partial. As you slowly bend the note and listen intently, there will be a point where the sound seems to come alive. You will also notice the horn "feels" different in your hands at that certain point in the bend.
    That point where the sound perks up is where you want to be.
    Next:
    Work on making your sound fat and round. Play soft long tones and close your eyes. Listen to your sound deeply and imagine the sound slowly growing out from your body. Remember, close your eyes and listen deeply!
    Next:
    Work on projection. When you play, imagine you are playing to a person a block away.
    My guess is that by this time next week your problem will be resolving itself.. Good Luck

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You can put quotes around your multi-word terms to search for those.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ok, that puts us half-way there. When searching for "double buzz" it does do the 'AND' function. But, it does not limit the search the exact term "double buzz". Still, that is better than nothing. Thanks for the tip.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no such thing as "overblowing". There is such a thing as an embouchure so messed up that the air can't be properly used. The solution is the embouchure.

For those of you that think that "blasting" is overblowing, think again. Blasting is a deficit in the brain. The player obviously does not understand their function in the ensemble. Mentally challenged players need help - most of the time not with breathing.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oreoflake,
    that Double Buzz happens to me when I am tired -- I do 3 hr+ practices sometimes - extending my endurance and range -- A couple of days of slow very light playing - or a day off gives the lips, face, embouchure time to relax and rebuild -- then all is well once again. -- but that's me.