What's Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jul 18, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I work with hundreds of successful engineers in the course of my work. There must be a difference somewhere. That difference is the same that I find in trumpet players. There are those born for it, those that make it work and those that have fun, at the other end, there are those that make excuses. Bad decisions can slow one down, but do not have to permanently destroy ones character. Here at TM we really make an effort to help those that help themselves. The same applies elsewhere. I am happy to hear about your progress!

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    No, actually it is because I have something against those words in conversation, even I can't help having them in my mind. And I have perfectly good reading comprehension, thank you very much.

Personally, I think you are the one hijacking the thread, not me. You have yet to give anything but pessimistic "advice" to anyone on this thread.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's keep this on track. It is about what is good enough, not who was bad enough.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I went into engineering because it was a "should" do not a "want to" do. "Want to" do would have been more like chemistry, or honestly, music. Now, chemists are as out of work as engineers, and I still think music is a more solid dependable thing that a lot of supposedly "more respectable" things.

Until the attacks started from the envious, this thread was about a young player asking what we think is best to do. I still stand by my advice to look into military bands. I think that route can pay for college, may allow for a 2nd major, and will allow for lots of solid education and playing opportunities. But they can do it any way, try busking, try playing for church, anything. Someone would have to be very sheltered or delusional to not know that the economy is tough right now. There are some really cool videos by the 215th Army Band on YouTube, maybe the OP can look at those to get a feel for "army band type people" they seem like really positive, fun, people. The bit on trying out a trumpet is classic!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Alex sez:
    The thing is, the rules have changed. After WWII, if you kept your nose clean you were pretty much on the up-escalator in the US. Those rules started changing in the mid-70s got much more "upside down" in the mid-80s, downward forces even stronger in the mid-90s ..... etc. What's going on now isn't just another economic burp. For all but the top few per cent, the default condition is going to be downward. And for that top few, it'll be downward for them too, just a bit later than for most of us.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I hope you find some happy soon. There's no shame in seeking help when its needed. I sense a need.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    alex sez:
    And I guess I haven't made my "dream" clear enough: To live like Louis Armstrong did.
    ---------------------
    Pops was a shining light of positive energy. You could hear it in his personality and his sound. I think with help, you can do it.

7. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    As a trumpet professor, I get this question frequently. My answer is usually the same:

You can do anything you want, if you want it bad enough. The competition for performing musicians is as fierce as any field, and while I don't have experience in other fields, I'm willing to bet it's the most competitive field out there. So, if you don't have the internal drive to be the best, and if you don't have a competitive streak that will motivate you to practice hours a day, day after day with the sole purpose of being the best, then being a performer may not be for you. But if you want it bad enough, then I say go for it.

But having a career in music isn't just about being a "player". There are many other options: teaching, sound recording, administration, composition, etc. If you love music, and have a passion for it, but don't want to dedicate your life to perfecting the craft of music making, then you can still make a career out of what you love by pursuing other paths in music. These other paths still require an intense dedication to studying music, and they are likewise competitive fields, but my experience has shown these "other" fields to have more opportunities.

And finally, being a professional musician is about being an "entrepreneur". You have to have the mindset that you want to make your OWN life and career. You have to CREATE opportunities for yourself and network like crazy. No one is going to hand you a career in music. You have to make it for yourself, and you have to be willing to work 24 hours a day on your career. If that sounds like something you would enjoy, then have at it! If not, then realize there is no shame in pursuing a career in another field and participating in music part time.

Good luck!

tedh1951 likes this.
  8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    As quoted from the paragraph above..."with the sole purpose of being the best"...there you have it.

While I have some reservations about the first sentence in the quoted paragraph, I think the remaining information is an excellent "put it all in perspective" answer to "what's good enough?" when it comes to becoming a professional trumpet player and making a good living from it. And by a good living, I don't mean a few bucks here and there, or playing some gigs with a garage band. I mean major success such as full time with a major symphony, recording artist, in demand session player, etc. I say this because I have a feeling that such is the definition of "making it" and/or "success" for many who may be thinking "what do I have to do to get to be like so and so, or to do such and such..." I think quite often it is the high ranks of the ladder that are in the mind of the person doing the inquiry - not the "barely getting by" levels...but that is just my opinion - I haven't taken any kind of survey...I mean, why would anyone need or want to ask what it takes to "barely get by?"

I didn't quote the remainder of the post in order to save space, but I think there is also some very excellent information to seriously consider for anyone who wants to have an active musical career other than as a performer.

I would stand on my initial premise in attempting to offer an opinion as answer to the question "what's good enough?" It's being "the best", or at least "one of the best", or "among the best". I sensed the OP wanting to be able to get an idea for what it might take, and I think the above post from the professor is as good an answer as likely to come along.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I agree that most young players who have managed to secure a position of leadership in the section probably do have above average determination, purpose, and dedication to becoming a good player, and even in terms of other school activities beyond band.

The world of high school is a world of its own, and doesn't accurately reflect, nor is it a good indication of what things are going to be like later on in the so called "real world."

Although high school was a long, long time ago for me, I can remember how I went from the status of being "famous" in high school "society" for my abilities as a trumpet player and the things I was doing with the trumpet at that time, to later on after high school it became a situation of "and you are WHO and so what?"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    you should come to a union meeting sometime...i think most of the people there are enemies with each other