What's Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jul 18, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Being a conductor

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You could be a talent scout, sound engineer, agent, a bunch of things too. I know a guy who buys/sells, moves, and fixes pianos. He plays gigs too, hardly any now (dunno if it's the economy or he's just not promoting himself enough, I suspect to a great degree it's the latter) who is good enough to play in bars, that's really good. So although he's the "piano fixing guy" he's got a background as a piano player. We try to get him to play all the time.

3. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I trust everyone here is reading the parallel thread about Allen Vizzutti?

Even if you're one of the best in the world, evidently things can happen...

5. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    I´ll try and make this short and sweet...

Over the next few years you will not only become a better trumpet player, but you will develop as a musician and listener, and if you are reliable and dedicated your passion and personality will shine. Some people are slower developers than others and it has always been an issue to me about comparisons. A trumpet player´s life is very different to what it was 20, 40 years ago.

Find people who will give you the confidence to develop a rounded set of skills, playing, composing, arranging and networking, and never give up your love of the instrument!

PS I ruled out military playing as well as teaching because my I´m a bollix! I admit to working different jobs for the last 20 years for economic comfort, and whether that´s becoming a Prof of composition or a street sweeper it doesn´t matter, if it helps perpetuate your own ideas, concepts and playing.