What's 'happening' right now?

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by TangneyK, Dec 5, 2004.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey everyone...

What new things are happening in the jazz and jazz/trumpet world right now? I don't get DownBeat, so I'm kinda outta the loop. The "new" cats that I'm listening to are Tom Harrell, Dave Douglass, and Nicholas Payton.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I'm not sure Downbeat is in the loop either!

Jeremy Pelt, Ron Stout are guys I think deserve wider recognition!!

Scott Wendholt!!!!! 8)

3. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Maurice Brown is in the loop right now as well.

Also Roy Hargrove's RH Factor is a killer group. One worth checking out in my opinion. RH Factor has the funk thing happening and to me it's great stuff...plus Roy Hargrove's playing ability!!

Wayne Bergeron is also playing on EVERYTHING.....

There's so much going on that it's hard not to be in the loop! happy music searching!

4. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Great choice of listening Kevin I would suggest that if you don't allready know him you could do worse than check out a London based Canadian trumpet/flugel player who is one of the giants of modern jazz.

My top tip for what promises to be one of the gigs of the year is the Ken Wheeler 75th Birthday Celebration Big Band. He is on tour in the UK in early January (QEH on the 14th - but its probably sold out by now). I saw Kens last big band gig in London - that was 15 years ago but luckily the music from that tour was recorded on the ECM album, Music for Large and Small Ensembles. If you are unfamiliar with Ken's playing and writing this might be an excellent 'in' for you.

That band features an all star cast, including Derek Watkins, Henry Lowther and Alan Downey (who composed Maynard's Give It One) in the trumpet section with Pete Erskine and Dave Holland in the rhythm section. I can only hope that the time and funds are found to record the new music Ken has composed for the 2005 tour.

Ken may be getting on a bit these days but his playing is much fresher than many young cats I hear today - he is a true improviser, one who has moved the music forwards over the last 40 years and has an instantly recognisable sound and style. In my opinion falls squarely into the 'what's happening now' box and is deserving of much wider recognition. I guess you might have found Kens name in Down Beat inj years gone by - but I would agree with dbacon, it is not the first place I would look to get into the jazz loop these days.

All the best. Noel.

5. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I second Noel's suggestion. Kenny Wheeler is the most important living jazz trumpet player. Maybe Dave Douglas and a few other guys will eventually be that significant once they have the experience of Wheeler, but for now...it's Kenny.

6. jazzalive

jazzalive New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    I saw Kenny Wheeler this past spring. I really enjoyed his style, lyricism and compositions. I was not familiar with his work before the Cal State Hayward Jazz Festival, but I'm glad I've seen him.

7. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    Ryan Kisor
    Joe Magnarelli
    John Swana

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I never thought I'd be suggesting this to someone else, but check out Mark Gould's "Pink Baby Monster." It's quite a shift from 30 years of playing opera to...that....computer/acid/free jazz. But when I saw him (it was in the middle of the Mark Gould Tribute Concert), the trumpet players (Julliard Students) he had were just incredible. Completely unmusical, IMHO, but impressive flexibility, range, etc.

9. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Greg Gisbert, Chris Botti, and Brad Goode are some of my favorites. I also enjoy the above mentioned Ryan Kisor, Dave Douglas, and Wayne Bergeron. I'm currently listening to a whole lot of Woody Shaw - he's not new, but he's so hip! Also, check out Brian Lynch!

Peace[/b]

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Ron Stout is the finest, least recorded, jazz trumpet player around. :cool: