What's happening???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Today and yesterday when I practiced, it felt extremely awkward to play. Ive been playing trumpet for about 3.5 years now so I know what sounds good and what sounds bad, what feels right and what feels forced/wrong. When I play it feels like my corners are extremely weak, my high E in the staff sounds really shallow like I am barely pushing air but I am pushing a lot of air. It feels like my teeth reformed over night and Im not used to playing like that. (Of course my teeth didn't reform) I do have a retainer I wear at night. I've been wearing it for a year now and my issue appeared two days ago. I feel like a beginner again. I know it is hard to comprehend without visually seeing me play but maybe some of you experts can suggest what's happenning. I have auditions in a month. If you live in texas you would know this as region auditions. I was hoping to only be socially awkward, not trumpet playing awkward...If you have any further questions or suggestions about my issue feel free to comment of inbox me. Thanks.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For things to go downhill so quickly, I would look for mechanical issues with the instrument. Are the valves in proper position? Is there any leakage at the water key? Is there something like a pencil stub stuck in the tubing?

You might want to give your instrument and mouthpiece a good cleaning and see if that fixes things for you.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi ricecakes,
    Here are some things to check:
    1. Clean the trumpet real good, especially the mouthpiece. (My first guess is a dirty mouthpiece clogging the sound).
    2. An hour or two before playing, eat an Allegra for your sinuses. If your ears are even a little messed up, that's a big problem.
    3.Check the pads on the water keys. If they are worn or dark, replace them.
    4. Something is stuck in the horn. Snake it out.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Your lips aren't swollen a little, are they? Maybe from eating a lot of salty food the last few days, or maybe a slight allergy to something?

5. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion guys, I found out today that my lower jaw bone and sorta the area where my corners would firm up, were a little hurt. They hurt like bruises but no visible issues can be seen. I don't do any kind of crazy range pushing. I had a normal day before this. Time to take a break? At least until my mouth doesn't feel sore..

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Could be marching band syndrome. Overworked chops. Too much lollygagging in the summer.

7. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    After a good mouthpiece scrubbing everythings alright! I never realized how that could effect me. I looked through the pipe but I couldn't see any clogging, but I now know it builds up on the sides...THANKSS!!!!!

8. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    After a good mouthpiece scrubbing everythings alright! I never realized how that could effect me. I looked through the pipe but I couldn't see any clogging, but I now know it builds up on the sides...THANKSS!!!!!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ricecakes230: To minimize recurrence, to what Dr. Mark has said, may I add to brush your teeth (clean your dentures) and scrape your tongue every time before you play. Too, I recommend an ultrasound cleaning and overall check of your instrument a minimum of once a year by a competent tech.

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Ricecakes...that's weird isn't it? I had this happen to me years ago when I had been playing a couple of years.

I couldn't figure out what I had done to myself and a colleague suggested cleaning the horn and mouthpiece. I started with the
    mouthpiece and after cleaning (before cleaning the horn) tried it and BAM! Everything was back to normal....

So now you know...

bigtiny