What's in your case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, May 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hey TM friends! It's been a while since I have posted but I was thinking about this and I wanted to ask.
    I just recently got a torpedo bag (not a fan of the case that came w/ horn), and it is great, but not everything I used to carry around fits in my case. This made me wonder, what do you find essential to carry with you?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Trumpet(s), oil, mouthpiece set (I use the Stomvi set, so I am prepared for anything), valve cleaning rod, silver polishing cloth (most of horns are silver plated), music stand plus MightyBrite stand lamp, trumpet stand, small Bucktool, Swiss Army knife, small MagLite torch, notepad, soft (3B) pencils, music magnets and a few slothes pegs (for outside gigs), a few crumbs (remains of in-rehearsal snacks), Blistex lip balm, a few bnits of cut-up T-shirt, that's about it.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You eat during rehearsal? I am not disputing your right to do so, and respect your decision to if you want to, but I would be concerned about the insides of my horn if I so indulged myself.

I have a torpedo bag. I keep lip balm, a cloth and valve oil in the lid, other lubes, trumpet stand, 4x mites, sound recorder, mouthpiece pouch in the bag on the side. I only seldom use the music holder, but it comes in useful if I don't want to bring a second bag with me.

When I travel with the bag the mutes go into luggage and I put wallet, passport, novel, tickets etc in the detachable bag.

--bumblebee

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    For my regular bag - main horn only for gigs:
    1. Horn and horn stand that fits into bell.
    2, Straight, Cup, Harmon and plunger mutes
    3. Mute holder that fits onto music stand
    4. Ultrapure Oil and slide grease
    5. Wipe cloths - blue for silver, boot rags for brass
    6. Floor rag
    7. Tuner
    8. Pencils
    9. MTM beathe tube
    10. 2 Mpces (Asymmetric Opera, and Lead 342M)
    11. Notebook -
    12. Music Glasses - MOST important for me.

5. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I carry the following in my soprano cornet hard case. (The horn I play the most.)

Cornet
    Metal Straight Mute
    Fiber Straight Mute
    Cup Mute
    Harmon Mute
    K&M trumpet stand (in the bell)
    Jo-Ral Mute holder (attaches to a music stand)
    Piece of plexiglass (outdoor gigs)
    Blue Juice
    2 polishing cloths
    Tylenol (for headaches)
    2 mouthpieces (schilke 11Ax, Curry 7P)
    I actually have the keys to the case, and the Courtois care guide (in French & English) in a little compartment as well

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    ProTec iPac triple case: Trumpet, cornet, two mouthpieces for each, music glasses, K&M stand, Crown Royal bag, cotton diaper, harmon mute, cup mute, straight mute, plunger, valve oil, music lyre, brass band music folder, various loose music, some clothespins, pencil, pen, date book, Chopsaver. I'll rotate horns in and out of it depending on what I need at the time, but it's mostly my Strad Bb trumpet and Strad cornet. I think this pic has my C trumpet in the case, though.

[​IMG]

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting timing on this question. I am now in Bethesda MD, on a business trip (and having been stood up by TrumpetMD) and took my Torpedo Loredo case with me. BUT to save on that damn extra baggage cost... here is what is in my case tonight...

An Olds Ambassador, Tom Green Refurbished Bb Trumpet
    A Yamaha Silent Mute, to keep the other Hotel guests happy.
    An Olds 3 Mouthpiece, gold plated by Goldchops
    A bottle of UltraPure valve oil
    A Yamaha microfiber cloth
    EBQ Songbook with an extra page of jazz modal scale studies

Now here is were it gets a bit interesting:
    Two pairs of Hanes mens briefs
    Two pairs of sox
    A pair of mens slacks
    One dress shirt with matching tie
    A Remington electric shaver
    An assortment of medications to keep me alive on my trip
    Ban roll on deoderent
    Shower to Shower bath powder (want to smell pretty for the ladies)
    Contact lens solution and case
    A spare set of glasses (want to be able to see the ladies - oh yes and conference materials)
    A tooth brush (for my teeth, not my valves)
    And Crest toothpaste

Yep... saved $50 total on this trip thanks to the side bags that Torpedo makes for their cases.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh but can it hold underware, slacks with dress shirt an tie like this puppy:
    [​IMG]

Peter McNeill likes this.
  9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, but clothing and hygiene are secondary concerns for a trumpet player...:lol:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not when there are pretty ladies in the room... or in Kingtrumpet's case... any breathing creature in the animal kingdom with a pulse.

[Sorry, it's been at least 48 hours since I last razzed Kingtrumpet, and I think I am going through withdrawal. There now... after posting this I feel much better. Thanks Dale]