What's in your case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, May 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks like there are two schools of thought - either a case with just the horn and a couple other items, accompanied by a bag with everything else in it - or - a big case with horns and everything in it. I like everything in one case...never have liked carrying/keeping up with a separate mute/junk bag.

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    To the question, "which case?", I reply, "which horn?" They all have different cases.

In the main gigging horn case, a ProTec, Mike Vax roller, I carry the Schilke B6L and the Stomvi Elite flugel, and their respective mpcs. The envelope sleeve on the outside will accommodate a music folder, valve oil, and reading glasses, but no mutes. I schlep a ProTec mute bag for that and it can ride the roller carefully. That roller case does great service to an old arthritic dude like me. But I have not tested it as checked baggage. I think that might just be a mistake.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    B-flat case has a horn, three mouthpieces, clothes pins,valve oil, slide grease, cleaner rod, and in the zippered side section, a music folder( rather packed, too). Cornet case has the horn and two mouthpieces( not much room for anything else). C case just has the horn and a place for a mouthpiece( I ditched the White gloves:roll::dontknow:). Flugle case just has room for the horn and a mouthpiece( white gloves are there, but I just use them to wipe it down:roll::dontknow:). I carry mutes, horn stand/s, oil, and a blitz cloth in a separate bag if needed:oops::cool:

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    OK - here's your TMI: (this would be easier with fewer horns)

The case I use mostly (BAM trekking - light and has lots of room) has Bb (lately Selmer 24B K-Mod), Curry 8.5TC mouthpiece, 1 or 2 bottles of valve oil, a microfiber cloth, a Hercules TravLite stand (not in the bell), a Wenge Facet mute (but not usually), a Korg tuner, a Best Damn Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period!, some eraser spacers (a la Jeanne Pocius) for between my rear upper and lower molars (for practice), and a toothbrush, and in the music pouch a copy of Vizzutti V.1 or 3, Shoemaker's Concone etudes, Mystery to Mastery (Greg Spence), and trumpet parts to Rachmaninoff's Vocalise and Ravel's Piece en forme de Habenera.

If I decide on a different trumpet, or need the C, then I madly transfer stuff and never everything I need. If I want to use my Recording, I change cases too as the valve block's different location doesn't fit the BAM. I have two BAM casess, but keep the nice new one at home to sweeten a deal if I sell a horn.

Cornet goes in a ProTec case w/2 mps (Stork 4A & Curry 8.5 Vintage), a Best Damn Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period! & the Hercules Travlite.

Flug & cornet or trumpet in Protec PH 301F (great case for the $$), 3 or 4 mps, French taper lp in outside pouch (Bach taper in horn), oil, that damn swab. BTW, I CAN tell the difference in the way a horn plays before and after cleanng the leadpipe with Tim Wendt's great swab.

Real Books and Stand/lights usually in trunk, usually leave them there. I clean my mouthpieces at home often.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    In my Torpedo outlaw, I have:
    Trumpet
    mouthpiece
    cleaning brush and cloth
    Oil
    2 mutes
    Real book
    Sometimes my phone.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry things didn't work out this weekend. I just got home after a rough 2 days with only about 3 hours sleep. That's the trouble with the ED. It never closes. :-)

I have a Protec Contoured Trumpet PRO PAC Case (PB301CT). Here's what's in it.

In the case
    - My Bach Strad 43*
    - My Bach 3C mouthpiece
    - A microfiber rag

In the pouch
    - Bach 3D mouthpiece in a ProTec mouthpiece pouch
    - Korg Chromiatic Tuner and Korg Metronome
    - Sony Digital Voice Recorder
    - Hetman #1 valve oil, #7 slide gel, #8 tuning slide grease
    - HW Brass Saver cleaning brushes, mouthpiece brush, leadpipe swab
    - A pen and business cards

My mutes are in a separate ProTec mute bag.

Mike

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, so you go commando?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I guess you like to keep your brass covered.

10. welcherHB

welcherHB New Friend

Mar 20, 2010
    Johnson City, NY
    Trumpet
    1/4 bottle All Cass oil
    2 Mouthpieces
    Snake
    #2 Pencil
    Just ordered a polishing cloth (& more oil) 5 minutes ago. That will be in there too.

Last edited: May 16, 2013