"What's in Your Gig Bag Part II"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Dover, Jan 28, 2011.

1. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    No new Arban post today but I did get up a new post on my other blog. This is a continuation of a discussion I started about the equipment that I use and keep on hand to be able to perform the gig(s) I do on a daily basis.

Johndmusic’s Blog

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for the next instalment and coming video(s) on "The Arban According to John".
    (www.johndovertrumpet.wordpress.com)

Thanks,
    John Dover

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a gig tomorrow night -- so I am making up a temporary gig bag since I don't do many gigs. For starters, 2 mpcs that I will use, extra oil (I mean just in case the first bottle of oil breaks or something, and my horns shouldn't need oil anyhow). A toothbrush and toothpaste (will likely eat before this gig at night). A couple of rubber bands (just in case the spit valve spring breaks - I have an extra spring anyhow, but for speedy emergencies, like when I am playing). A change of clothes to look presentable, Beeswax chapstick, vaseline for my slides (although they don't need it). A couple of towels (to catch spit - it's a church on the podium gig, and others are before me or after me). My songbook -- just in case I "freak out" and forget all the song I have memorized. An extra trumpet (yes!, I will warm up/stay warmed up if I am towards the last in the lineup --- and my main axe shouldn't break, but if it does, I got a backup, so I put the extra in a practice room). Extra valve spring -- I mean I have never had one break, but what if??? OH my goodness, I almost forgot the tuner -- that is definitely there, although I have been pretty reliably "in tune" on the songs I need to do. Ok and some water bottles, aspirin, and hopefully a "chill" pill.
    my goodness this is just a 3 song, church fundraiser ---- I hope I am not this uptight tomorrow night.
    I know --- just play, be happy, and please the audience -- how simple.

3. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    That sounds like a full bag. :)

Have fun on the gig.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Peanuts and no salt.

5. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    For my dance band gig tonight I will take along my 909, my Flugel, valve oil, standard mutes (Harmon, Cup, Straight, plunger), and a stand light.

For the Opera rehearsal I will switch out the Flugel for a C, and put a picc in as well just to have all bases covered.

Really depends on what the day is like as to what I have packed.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't understand. I bring just what I need to do the job. I have a mute bag that's always in my car and whatever trumpet I need. Sometimes just a B-flat or just a C.

When I don't know what I'm going to play (which happens all the time) I will bring a Picc. and C and B-flat.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    1 - Conn 38b trumpet
    1 - Monette mp
    2 - Mutes (Harmon, Allesi Vacchiano st.)
    1 - Trumpet cleaning kit (ultrapure, etc.)
    1 - KORG TM40 tuner
    1 - 2 pencils, sharpener, staff paper
    2 - AAA batteries
    1 - Small stuffed monkey

:dontknow:

Turtle

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ...... and one Turtle ROFL.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    1 - Harrelson Bravura Trumpet
    1 - Harrelson SWE B6 mp in a black velvet baggie
    1 - Monette B6 mp in a plastic UMC mp 'case'
    1 pr white cotton gloves
    4 - Mutes (Harmon, Hume and Berg St, Denis Wick Cup, plunger with a 5/8' hole in the middle)
    1 - Trumpet cleaning kit (ultrapure, etc.)
    1 - Korg tuner
    20 or so - IKEA pencils
    1 - pencil eraser
    1 - small spiral bound note pad
    1 - microfibre cloth
    1 - inflatable saxaphone

oh, and the keys to the band trailer and bandroom.

My Gig Bag is a hardcase BTW.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    -Taylor Chicago Custom
    -Leblanc F357 flugelhorn
    -mouthpieces for Taylor and Leblanc (Taylor and Denis Wick pieces)
    -trumpet harmon mute (copper) flugelhorn bubble mute (copper)
    -valve oil (i'm an Al Cass guy)
    -EARPLUGS (good ol' blues club!... and because of those half insane 50 year old trumpet players that think playing means "play as many dubba c's as possible"...)

Kujo