What's on your music stand?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, folks...

Summer's just about over... you'll be getting back to school if you're not already there, my season will be starting in another week, students will soon be filling our studios again, Lara's just about ready to receive her new horn, many of you are fresh back from marching band camp....

So, I wanna know: what's currently on your music stand? I have a huge stand, so, I've got Arban's (now THERE'S newsflash), the Fisher Tull concerto, a Cichowicz-inspired flow study photo copy he gave me, and a few orchestra pieces. The latter are Petrushka, Tromba Lontana by John Adams, Beethoven's 7th, and a new edition of Night on a Bare Mountain. It looks almost like the one we're used to! I'm very excited to play it. The editor is Georgi Kirkor and was revised by Clark McAlister for Kalmus. I'm sure it's based on some earlier material by Mussorgsky but who knows?

Hey... what's on your stand?

ML

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A few years ago a very well respected and great trumpet player in Detroit died. His name was Billy Horner. I recently met his son, who gave me all of Billy's personal music.
    Right now I am going through it and am really working out with it.
    At this time on my stand are:

EMBOUCHER and TECHNIQUE STUDIES by DAVID ZAUDER, a player with the Cleveland Orchestra, The Boston Pops and a soloist in Detroit with the Leonard B. Smith band.

Harry Mortimer Souvener Album A collection of famous cornet solos.

Voisin: II Studies

ERNEST HALL: DIFFICULT PASSAGES for trumpet. First volume-Classical Works

-cw-

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    At the moment:

Arban

Barat - Andante and Scherzo
    Neruda
    Legend

... and I've also been running over my part for Mahler 1 and looking at the solos in Prokofiev's Piano Cto No. 3 - starting rehearsals next weekend.

I've been ill for the past week and have been taking antibiotics which have a side effect of adomen tightening / aches. So I'm not playing fantastically at the moment, which is very frustrating considering I've got a big concert and my first days at college in a few weeks!

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I've got this too, nice book! If you haven't already, check out Hartmann's "Facilita" - which David Hickman has recorded. Nice change of pace from some of the crazy stuff in there :shock:

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Tomasi-Concerto
    Ellington-Concerto for Cootie
    a book of first trumpet parts to Sammy Nestico tunes
    Pierre Max Dubois-Concertino

Hooray for jazz and classical placement auditions on consecutive days. At this time last week, the only thing to be found on my music stand was the Grout & Pallisca "History of Western Music," so things are looking up!
    -Jimi

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    JackD wrote:
    That's a very pretty piece.
    I do NOT like the piece "FINALE" it will be the finale of me!

-cw-

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have a brand new Platinum Edition Arban book, my old one died a horrible death after many,many years of service. I have "The Skies of America" on the stand. I found my 30+ year old part. I played that? Yikes :shock: The first note is a G above high C. Ornette wrote some hard stuff! I am working on a piece by Coleridge- Taylor Perkinson. Jimmy Owens wrote out some exercises for fingers that's kicking my butt.......the music is beckoning me.

Bye.........

Wilmer

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have my LA Phil audition list and the parts. Incidentally, I also have my cable bill sitting there.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Now, THATS what I call incentive...

Knock 'em dead, BBW.

ML

10. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will certainly try. But, I got an email from the coordinator last night saying that they were moving the semis and finals. Originally the auditions were to take place on Oct 1, 3, and 4, but now they changed it to Oct 1 and 3 and the finals on Dec 5. Is this a regular thing to do? They did say that they would help with travel arrangements with those who advance, but it still seems strange to me. Do committees often have auditions split up like this?