What's out there?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by FreshBrewed, Feb 25, 2004.

1. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I was just curious which bell and finish combinations some of you Eclipse owners chose and why.

Mine is the MHY Bell with the Savannah finish and gold accents. I chose this combination because I really liked the smooth, dark, centered tone the combination created. Despite the darker tone, the horn is really an all purpose horn.

2. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi Mike,

This may be off-topic, but I'll throw it in anyway. :wink:

I played an Eclipse Equinox for the first time about a week ago. I was extremely impressed. I keep telling myself (hypothetically, in a wishful sort of way) that an Equinox with a copper bell and leadpipe...could...kind-a-sort-a...eliminate the need for a cornet or flugel...maybe...kind-a-sort-a.

It would sound like "butta". At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

All the best.

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    My bells are classified. Ok, one of them is a MC, one a CP, and one classified. Paul, copper is an awesome choice, especially laquered. I don't know Leigh's thoughts on this (cant talk to him as much as usual due to a very large ashtray), but a copper bell on an equinox would certainly not sound like an equinox, a cornet, trupet or flugel, but it would have the best aspects from all 4, and it would most definitely be 'butta'!
    Take care,
    GW

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Mike!

How are things in Texas? I hear that you are getting together with Jesse/Still Trying, soon. He's really looking forward to blowing on your Eclipse MHY/Savannah/Gold accents!

Heck, you're probably going to be very busy visiting relatives that ya won't have time to do any playin'.... so, just drop that horn off with Jesse! He'll take good care of it! :D

My main horn is my Eclipse Equinox, in scratched gold/shiny gold accents. I enjoy it for the great responsiveness, its feel, and its looks. I can't imagine improving on the Large Red bell, as far as the sound is concerned, on the Equinox. I know that I've posted about it before, but... the sound is so full in the low, and mid range, with an upper register that can part hair, if pushed. I really enjoy playing it!

Leigh has made so many great horns that it's tough to stick to just one! 8)

Best always,
    Bruce

5. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    I have a LR in scratch gold.

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Well I'm in Texas and the weather is great cmpared to the freezing temps in Germany. Actually Bruce, I'm going to contact Jesse today or tomorrow about a meeting to play the horns. I'll also be visiting the Reverend because Katy is where my parents used to live. I'm sure that both will have plenty of input on the horns.

As far as an equinox with a copper bell, I was just talking to Kevin about the subject and we both echo your thoughts Paul. It would really be a sweet sounding horn.

Would love to stay and talk more but the bay is calling me to go boating and catch some decent flounder and trout.

Oh, I've been practicing the horn even here in Texas.....like I said, I just can't put it down.

7. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    I have a goldplated Large Red...and love it! :D I can't thank Noel, Bruce and Leigh enough for the help they've given me in making the adjustment to this horn. I don't adapt to new horns or mouthpieces with ease, to say the least! I'm a hard blower that has a tendency to "muscle" a horn. I use rather small, shallow pieces and lose patience VERY quickly when something "new" doesn't work out immediately! :cry: I also like the resistance to be on my mouth with the free blowing part coming from the bell end that's why Bruce and I deducted that the LR was probably the model that suited me the best. Once I learned to "back off"...and that I DIDN'T have to muscle the horn around... BAM!, good things just started happenning!!! :D I have played/owned just about every brand horn available from Schilkes, to Benges to Bachs to Yamahas, to Taylors, etc. NOT ONE of these brands come even close to the sound, ease of blow, nor intonation of the Eclipse. That's the God's honest truth! :oops: As for intonation...EVERY note is in tune throughout the range of the horn! Even when I'm tired I can put the horn on a strobe and it's "dead" on!!! Again...to Leigh, Bruce, and Noel...their customer satisfaction is second to none! :D They ALL went "way out of there way" to make sure I was pleased with the horn. If I hadn't been they would have worked with me until I WAS 100% happy. That goes a LONG way in this day and age of "here...you bought it...you own it...goodbye"!!! :cry: After all of the horns I've owned in the past I don't normally get THIS excited about a new horn and, rarely, if ever, do I "jump on the bandwagon" regarding manufacturers, etc. With THIS new horn I just couldn't hold back! :D Sorry if I offended anyone with my ramblings!!!

Butch

P.S. To Leigh, Bruce, and Noel...a PM will be coming from me shortly so I can "personally" give thanks to each of you!

8. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the kind words, Butch!

Sounds like you're finding your personality in that horn... that's the goal!

Best always,
    Bruce

9. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Butch

Long time no chat!

I could not be more pleased to hear that youve settled in to the horn the way you have.
    I suppose the valves are starting to run in a bit now too.

Best Wishes

Leigh