Whats the Best Eb/D Trumpet out there?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by RockstarrTrumpet, Jul 2, 2008.

1. RockstarrTrumpet

RockstarrTrumpet New Friend

Jul 1, 2008
    I've been trying the Yamaha Custom (bob malone) 9610 Eb/D and the Schilke E3L Eb/D I can't decide which one I like more.

I've been looking for the right sound, intonation, flexibility in whats comfortable. So far I have a little more control on the Schilke but the sound and intonation is SO much better on the yamaha it's like night and day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I really like my E3L. It is a great all around horn. But, the best Eb that I have ever played is one that Chris Cromer custom built at his shop (A "minor" Tuneup) in Wilmington, DE. It was an Eb only, but wow, what a horn - Bach bell, Kanstul body, Blackburn lead pipe, and Chris's careful and precise assembly.

3. Chris Houser

Chris Houser New Friend

Jan 11, 2006
    Mpls
    Edwards is just about ready to put their new Eb horn on the market. I played the demo horn last March and immediately placed my order, should arrive mid July. Christian at Edwards also has a D bell and valve slide sleeves to change the horn into a D. I haven't tried the D side yet, but the quality of Christan is excellent and I am sure that it will be a very good horn.
    Edwards has been showing the demo Eb at various conventions, including the ITG, and have been getting very good comments. You might want to contact them and check out this option as well.

Chris

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no best Eb. Like any other trumpet, you need to play before you pay. If you insist on buying blind, Schilke and Yamaha build horns that play predictably and are in tune - That can't be said about many other brands.

5. jackboyko

jackboyko New Friend

May 17, 2006
    Hi, I agree, the best one, is the one you like and sound best on. I favor my Schilke E3L-4, in gold using a 6A4A heavy mouthpiece. I have the Eb/D 3 valve in silver but it does not give me the sound I want out of an Eb horn. Lots of luck and fun looking for what you want. As always; Jack Boyko

6. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I cannot agree enough with 'try it if you can" on any horn. I would include Stomvi in the mix though, the Eb/D elite model is very nice!!

TD

7. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    Have to second the Stomvi Elite. I have one of the early ones and its a great horn!!!!!

8. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Throw the Yammie xeno into the mix as well.
    i played a Xeno soprano cornet the other day... easisiest Eb horn I've played, none of the mental pushing the pitch up so you're not flat...