What's the Best Valve Oil?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by klipschfan4life, Dec 8, 2006.

1. klipschfan4life

klipschfan4life New Friend

Jun 21, 2006
    I would like to get some suggestions on what the best valve oil there is. Any thoughts? I personally use Zaja Blue.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There will be as many opinions as there are valve oils! Personally I use Zaja Blue also but what works for one doesn't always work for another.

3. Dan Millheim

Dan Millheim Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2004
    Fort Worth ,TX
    Ditto for Zaja Blue! It keeps the "twins" rolling!

IMHO:It's the best on Getzen and Bauerfine valves I have found.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nothing has worked as well for me as "Ultra Pure" valve oil. Everything seems to gum up on me fairly quickly. Expensive but good.

ML

5. Energy411

Energy411 New Friend

Nov 8, 2006
    Houston
    I personally prefer Hetmans, particularly if you are playing on a horn you've used for a long time....

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have been using blue juice. i used to use the cheapest stuff i could get, but found that on my older horns (i have a Bb from 1975 and a C from 1985) it gummed up the valves.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I don't think that there is a "best" oil. I use Ultra Pure and Hetman's depending on the horn. It seems that some oils work better in different horns. Just my own opinion of course. Dave

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I use Al Cass.

Pretty good oil for an okay player.

Regards,

Richard Oliver

9. klipschfan4life

klipschfan4life New Friend

Jun 21, 2006
    Ya, I think generally people like to use the new stuff like Zaja and Ultra Pure for the new horns and like to use Hetmans for the older more vintage horns.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My brass repairman always pushes Hetman's, so I use that or Al Cass. He explained to me once that the player should pick an oil based on the acidity of the players saliva, because when it mixes with the oil, it can make the valves slower and the oil ineffective.