What's the best way to build both range and endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cdmproductions, Jun 27, 2013.

1. cdmproductions

cdmproductions New Friend

Jun 16, 2013
    I am really trying to increase my range and my endurance. What would the best way be?

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! How old are you? How long have you been playing? Are you receiving trumpet instruction? If you give us a little more info, we may be able to be a little more helpful.
    Jim

3. cdmproductions

Jun 16, 2013
    I am a Junior in High school (15 yrs old). I've been playing trumpet for around six years without instruction

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you have the Arban's Method, great, if not you can download it at Method for the Cornet (Arban, Jean-Baptiste) - IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library: Free Public Domain Sheet Music

If you have the time to split your practice sessions up over the day, I would suggest the following for range: Pg 12 #9 repeat an octave higher. Pg 91, #1 repeat an octave higher. Pg 92, #2 repeat an octave higher. No cheating by starting an octave higher than written, please.

For endurance, the following: Pg 23 #1, #2, #3 and following, one after the other; play until quite tired but not exhausted. Rest. Pg 42 #16 and following, again, play until tired. The same starting on page 76 with chromatic scales. Then the same idea starting on pages 125, 155, 175.

If you are able to add a bit more each day, you should have good endurance and range at the end of summer. Us a mirror to make sure you aren't doing anything weird.

Have fun!

5. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Practice there is no silver bullet.

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yeah, +1 on practice. For endurance, make sure you rest as much as you play. On 15 minutes off 15. Honestly, though, I don't have time for that. Even on 15 off 5 is better than constantly pounding your face into the ground.

7. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    Pedal tones and Claude Gordon. +1 rest at least as much as you play.

8. cdmproductions

Jun 16, 2013
    Ok! I'll give them a try. Thank you all for the help

9. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    For me, the issue of what exercises I need to do for endurance and range is really subjective.
    I discovered that not only there are things that work for me better than for others (and obviously also the other way), I tend to change.
    for example:
    three years ago my favorite drills for high range was stamp.
    it was really good, helped me a lot.
    a year after? Dr. Collin's flexibility.
    than arrpegios.
    today my favorite is a variation on clarke no. 3 I like to do.

so the best thing, is to try and find out what works the best for you.
    anyway, what vulgano brother suggested seems great, so it's a good place to start searching

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    +1 for Arban and VB's advice, I also like Joe Dixon's High register range builder, again down loadable easily.