What's the best way to build both range and endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cdmproductions, Jun 27, 2013.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Actually...I'm fairly certain I found a shortcut at ITG. One guy had put a duck call in a mouthpiece. The piece literally could not play below douba g.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes you did! :roll::roll::roll: It's called a slur mark and it means, "Don't take no breath 'til yer done"!

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yeah, KT, maybe Vulgano Brother needs some lessons from you. I'm sure you'd be happy to accommodate himROFLROFLROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it was more a comment on ARBANS, ((I know some of you rigid players have to be spoon fed - "how to play" notes routine, and I do get that)) --- but the comment was on using rigidly the ARBANS, which actually leaves out some things that help (ie. long soft tones) is but one example. You peeps can take it any way you want, but it wasn't no slam on VB. ---I mean is that how you peeps read that?? I slammed VB??? now, I might have slammed ARBANS as leaving stuff out for high notes, endurance, but there is the Clarke, the Durban, the Rubank, and a host of other "METHODS" that claim the title --- to trumpet proficiency!!!!! ----------------and it all comes back to our Good Buddy Ole Pal GM's advice (((and a few others)))) ------ PRACTICE IS THE DIFFERENCE!!!!! only PRACTICE helps ---------------------but yeah, I found my ARBANS -- stuffed in the back of the closet with the 2 or 3 cornets, RIGHT WHERE IT OUGHT TO BE!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL as I recall RUBANKS ELEMENTARY, intermediate, and advanced are underneath the ARBANS------ where they need to be also!!!! IMHO

5. cdmproductions

cdmproductions New Friend

Jun 16, 2013
    Theres two different documents...which do I use?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Stuart, I never had much concern about range, but ENDURANCE is "top dog" of my concern and the reality is now recognized that it is drastically diminishing with age and health issues. Still, I can whistle at least 10 times as much as I play, and in harmonica style vis both on the exhale and the inhale. However, I just never encountered a circumstance that I couldn't whistle after a lengthy gig ... then I could still whistle for my taxicab. Too, some of my LEO associates pondered why I didn't always use my Acme Thunderer whistle. Otherwise, my wife detests my whistling. It has to many shrills she is sensitive to, especially when I'm perusing a violin part with my whistle.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The one edited by Edwin Franko Goldman.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Only a slight modification of what has gone before in re practice, practice, practice. There's a saying in the business literature that it is not working harder that is important, it is working smarter. Specify the problem. Work at that problem. When I was your age, and even now, I tend(ed) to practice what I could already play. Why? Because it is easier and sounds better. Not smart! Sure, spend some time keeping sharp on what you already know, but spend more time on what you don't. If you want endurance, practice the stuff that keeps the horn on your chops. Time the exercise(s). Then rest for as long as you played. VB's suggestions are apt. Plus the teacher suggestion...the latter will schedule new things for you to be doing each week. That lifts some of the burden from you as to what to practice and forces you to try new stuff you currently cannot play well.

9. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    At the end of the day, remember that you are young, and not physically developed to where you will be ten years from now. Practice, but practice consistently to be a developed player and not just one with range. Range tends to come by itself, as does endurance, when the horn is played correctly with a consistently flowing air stream.

Watch how other players breath, not the Maynard's, but the classical trumpet players that you can find on You Tube. Slow process is retained; fast process leaves just as quickly.

10. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    After I wrote, I remembered there was one other issue I wanted to address. A significant portion of trumpet playing is maintaining your physical condition, especially the body core and respiration. At 15, you are still developing your general physical strength. Many trumpet players, including many, many very good ones, were runners.

Roy Poper, for one, was a distance runner in high school. He developed into one of the most proficient, and efficient, trumpet players in the world.

Take up a sport that involves core strength, such as Yoga or running. Develop the whole system. Take your time and build strength for the long haul. You have well over 50 years to enjoy the path of being a trumpet player.