What's the best way to build both range and endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cdmproductions, Jun 27, 2013.

1. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    BUY A TICKET,
    then get on GOOGLE MAPS and plot your course to the following --- 154 W 57th St, Manhattan, NY 10019-3329

yeah this guy must be a woodwind player ---- ((better yet, hitch a ride with a drummer (providing he is NOT homeless) -- the drummer will have a mini-van, or a car large enough for both of you to ride in -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

or you could try putting in 10,000 hours on your instrument of choice --- and just maybe, just maybe, you could be the show

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hitch a ride with a gorgous blonde... then practice, practice, practice... Then reset my goals to getting to Carneghie Hall.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    nice try -- I like the gorgeous blonde chick though, -- but at least I got the address to Carnegie Hall, which will help you actually get there!!!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh... not to worry, my gorgeous blonde chick will help me get there... then I will try to google Carnegie Hall.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    good point, with a gorgeous blond, most of the fun would be on the way to Carnegie Hall -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Practice, practice, practice!!!

8. grantyg

grantyg New Friend

Feb 4, 2007
    Scotland
    I found my routine to recover from nerve damage - very light MPC pressure and airflow really helps my students - kindle edition on amazon $7 just search grant golding trumpet toolkit

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes backwards ecitcarp, ecitcarp, ecitcarp!!!, and forwards practice, practice, practice ---- and it will eventually help!!!

10. wombat

wombat New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    I used both the Arban and Domenico Gatti's books for reading but for my lip I've always relied on Louis Maggio's brass method.I met Carlton MacBeth,who published the method back in 1968,back in 1971 when he did a brass clinic at Southwestern Oregon Community College in Coos Bay,Oregon.I was playing on a Besson 2-20 trumpet at the time and was also a music major then from 1970-72.I had previously played on an Olds Ambassador which I just hated.I get started by doing what Maggio taught by doing the
    pedal tones down to pedal C then work up doing arpeggios through C above middle C.It was tough but it worked:I seriously considered NOT playing again after major open heart surgery(triple bypass and mitral valve repair in October,2007:the repair failed by 2010 and an artificial valve was installed and no more problems)until my cardiologist,a
    former baritone or tuba player told me it was a great idea after I made the joke "Gee,does this(heart surgery)mean I can go back to playing trumpet and trombone?"I took up
    trombone at 14.I have a Conn 12H with the Coprion bell from about 1954.'Nuff said about that.For what it's worth,I just got out my other horn,a Chinese made copy of a Bach
    Strad 180 series(brand name(s)Selman;bought new in the summer of 2007 now sold as an "E.F.Durand".That's the horn that uses the Rudy Muck 17C Second Gen mouthpiece on:the '68 Recording I owned(and should have kept as I look back-I could have bought back 15 years later less than what I sold it for:$225 in 1970;around $175 in 1985)had an old Rudy Muck 17C which had no plating on it.That was how I recognized the Recording I sold back in 1970 to a classmate from high school.I suffer no stress from my playing on either the Selman or the 48B and I'm 62 now.I was 56 at the time of my first surgery and 59 at my second.