What's the best way to build both range and endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cdmproductions, Jun 27, 2013.

1. wombat

wombat New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    Who is Joe Dixon?The only Joe Dixon I knew of played reeds for my all time favourite trumpeter Bunny Berigan who ispired me to play play jazz next to Red Nichols.It was Erskine Hawkins and his 1945 Victor recording of "Remember" that inspired to buy that unplated Rudy Muck 17C mouthpiece in 1969 when I still owned that '68 Olds Rec-
    ording trumpet I bought new.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Vulgano is ALWAYS RIGHT (in my opinion) The following is what I've found to be helpful for me. It's not the end all of advice, but I think most people in the forum will agree with it.

The most important thing about practice is CONSISTENCY. Practice every day, and try to practice the same amount every day.

The SECOND most important thing is PATIENCE. Every trumpet player has be impatient at one point, until impatience taught them a lesson. Do yourself a favor -- learn the lesson without going through all the trouble of learning bad habits and damaging your technique.

Since you mention both ENDURANCE and RANGE, take note: overdoing practice will diminish both temporarily. Don't beat up your face, be smart. The more often you consistently practice, and the longer each session is, and the more sessions you do each day will aid in endurance. Range can come hand in hand with that, provided you practice the proper things (which Vulgano so kindly outlined) and be smart. You wouldn't go to the gym and work out your biceps, and go back the next day when you can barely move them, right? So make sure you take the proper amount of rest.

I suggest doing long tones. Long tones help you learn to produce a consistent, pure tone. It also can help with endurance.
    I also suggest lip slurs, and eventually trills. Lips slurs can help you learn proper air flow, if you don't force them. In the end, I've seen and experienced positive effects on range from these.

Even if you don't get lessons from a private teacher, perhaps you can have a teacher, or a very experienced player check how you're doing these things. It never hurts to ask for help, and sometimes what someone else notices from the other end of the horn is invaluable. With this in mind, recording yourself now would be a good idea. You can listen to your playing after a practice session, and make sure that your tone isn't thinning while you're going up in range (pinching) or make sure that your air is flowing properly, not choppy. Self evaluation is a tool many good players I know use. Sometimes you're more critical of yourself than others.

Best of luck to you! Make sure you post your progress sometime

Cheers
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah -- another vote for some LONG TONES in the exercise --- of course I say (LONG soft TONES) -- but long tones will help!!! -------or you can actually do SIREN tones, (( as your playing the note go from soft playing, to loud, back to soft ---YES, while your playing the note)) --- now try that for a few weeks for 10 minutes a day, and tell me you see or hear NO IMPROVEMENT!!!!

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Already have a gorgeous blonde. It's the practice, practice, practice part that hangs me up.

6. cornetboy97

cornetboy97 New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    caruso method works well but you must not do it everyday as i can do more harm than good!!!:whistle:

7. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Part of endurance is developing mental image and concentration associated with physical performance. Building the physical part is only that: part.

Confidence, focus and just being in the moment should all be part of your discipline (practice) just as much as long tones or breathing exercise. Imagining the way that you want to sound is the only way to change from the sound that you hear today to the way you want to sound every day. It works with endurance too, and for exactly the same reason.

8. MichaelAttaway

MichaelAttaway New Friend

Jun 27, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    The best thing that I have found is to practice and rest in equal amounts. That way, you don't get overly tired but still keep the horn on your face.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, MichaelAttaway!

I would suggest that while rest is important, a 50/50 ratio is not called for. The better in shape we are, the shorter our rest periods need to be. This is why I advocate the "playing until tired but not exhausted" approach. No clock involved.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and just to add the obvious to this post --- playing until your tired, may not be the SAME amount of time each day --- for instance this week here it is hot, humid, and I have had a concert and a parade (on 2 different instruments) -- so getting tired only took me 45 minutes today. LAST WEEK however, it took 3 hours. ---- so yes, this is just an AGREEMENT of sorts with VB, and to NOT WATCH THE CLOCK!!!!!