What's the count? If you have a Buescher 265, let's see what's out there

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Ellis, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Friend

Nov 15, 2015
    OK, if you've got a Buescher 265 cornet, albeit they "are a bit hard to find," please let me know. Like it? Some say it's arguably better than the 275. If you can upload a picture, that's great! Here's mine - 1937'ish and it has a gold/silver MP that's marked Burke - Buescher 21 - maybe as rare as the horn...and note the Convex Buttons! Sweet. Back slide is quick-change to A.
    [​IMG]
    And I've got the original case, that's being restored by me this week, with as close as possible authenticity.

Thanks for sharing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    True Tone likes this.
  2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I'd like to see and read details of the case restore!

True Tone likes this.
  3. Ellis

Ellis New Friend

Nov 15, 2015
    Here is the case "Before" picture. Nice, huh? I'll have the after picture on Tuesday :eek:) I found a cloth to recover with that's so close to the original it's pretty remarkable. The new handle is awesome - from Reverb.com 100% leather, with a little buckle so you don't have to remove any hardware. The interior smelled like...you know. But it's definitely salvageable! I used the unscented Lysol with the Red Cap, and a day airing out in the sun, then backing soda inside sealed a few days, vacuumed it out - not bad so far. To hold the new cloth to the wood after I painstakingly took off every bit of cloth (2 days of hard labor), with something I got at a craft store called Modge Podge matte finish. I re-glued and clamped the rounded dovetail edges that had come apart under the tape (They used Gorilla tape).
    The new cloth is getting a top coat of the Modge Podge too, which really makes it look more like the original. The modge podge is really easy to work with, water clean up, but when it's dry it's bullet-proof and will protect the cloth and waterproof it. It also hides the imperfections - I used a disposable sponge paintbrush to apply. Thanks for asking!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  4. Ellis

Ellis New Friend

Nov 15, 2015
    See the case and the progress notes just posted ;)

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    VetPyschWars (Tom), could have a Buescher 265, hope he posts a pic of his one!

6. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

True Tone likes this.
  7. Ellis

Ellis New Friend

Nov 15, 2015
    What a great horn and especially the CASE! Is the case in original condition? If so it must have been sitting in cyro-storage. That's a Post War horn, right?

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Nope, I have the Model 275 "The 400" cornet, goes with my Model 225 "The 400" trumpet. I had a Model 266 but I sold it.

Tom

True Tone likes this.
  9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  10. BobnBuckingham

BobnBuckingham New Friend

Oct 15, 2009
    Doylestown, PA
    So here's my Aristocrat model 265 from ~1937. Silver with NICE engraving, highlighted in gold. Unfortunately, it's not completely original. There's a missing pull nib on the 1st valve crook, a dab of solder where the leadpipe was apparently resoldered at some time in the past, and a previous owner removed the large push-brace on the main tuning slide. Nonetheless, I think it's one of the prettiest horns I own, and it's got good compression and plays very well. A keeper! IMG_6390 Aristocrat 265 10x10.jpg IMG_6390 Aristocrat 265 10x10.jpg IMG_6385 Aristocrat 265 10x10.jpg

True Tone and barliman2001 like this.